Master's vs Doctorate in Education

michigan girl

A friend of mine needs some assistance. How does a person decide between a Master or Doctorate in Education?

If someone already has a master's degree in a related field, does it make sense to pursue a master's in education or apply directly to doctoral programs?

Edited by michigan girl

A friend of mine needs some assistance. How does a person decide between a Master or Doctorate in Education?

If someone already has a master's degree in a related field, does it make sense to pursue a master's in education or apply directly to doctoral programs?

It depends entirely on your friend's career goals. If he/she wants to go into academia or research, PhD. If your friend wants to go into administration Ed D. If the plan is to continue in the classroom, do curriculum design, increase their skills in a particular specialty to be more appealing in the job market, get a raise, or a career change with a bachelor's in something other than education (in some states) the master's is the way to go.

Really, I suggest your friend decide the end goal and find out which degree is needed for it.

Edited by FingersCrossedX

It depends entirely on your friend's career goals. If he/she wants to go into academia or research, PhD. If your friend wants to go into administration Ed D. If the plan is to continue in the classroom, do curriculum design, increase their skills in a particular specialty to be more appealing in the job market, get a raise, or a career change with a bachelor's in something other than education (in some states) the master's is the way to go.

Really, I suggest your friend decide the end goal and find out which degree is needed for it.

I tend to agree. Your degree choice should be a function of your friend's career goals. Research and large-scale leadership roles generally require a Doctorate (unless you're the Secretary of Education, apparently...).

I know it's splitting hairs, but I would like to point out that not all EdD programs are "sub-research". HGSE's EdD is a Tier 1 research degree, for example.

I know it's splitting hairs, but I would like to point out that not all EdD programs are "sub-research". HGSE's EdD is a Tier 1 research degree, for example.

I agree. The EdD and PhD are very much intertwined. At Harvard there is no PhD program so the EdD is a research degree. Its a good point. The EdD can give you a great research background too. You just have to do your homework before you apply I guess.

Agree with above. And from what I've seen of Ed PhD programs, a Masters is not a requirement (and doesn't count toward courses) for many of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the above but the decision totally depends on your friend.

Wish him/her best of luck with the decision :)