Identity Politics?

Sorry if this is a little broad and incoherent as I'm working on clarifying my thoughts through asking questions. What exactly does identity politics entail in the realm of poli sci? Does it deal with ethnic violence and the politicization of identity groups only? Im trying to figure out if my interests deal with identity politics in poli sci sense. I'm curious to see how globalization affects marginalized groups (Untouchables for example), in terms of community stability and productivity of these groups. Also is anyone familiar with Kanchan Chandra's work and can share their thoughts on it?

What exactly does identity politics entail in the realm of poli sci? Does it deal with ethnic violence and the politicization of identity groups only?

it depends how you define it, I think. by my definition, it's "my thing," a large part of what I do, which involves the interplay of personal and national identity with citizenship, immigration, political participation, and the like. ethnic violence certainly comes into it, but I wouldn't say it's the only factor.

I hope that's helpful; I'd be happy to (attempt to) clarify as needed!

• 1 year later...

From that brief overview, your interests sound more like sociology or economics to me, but I could be wrong about that. To my mind "identity politics" are part of political science when it comes to things like interest group activism, political participation, voting behavior, insurgencies and civil war, etc. Basically, wherever racial/ethnic/gender/etc identity has an impact on political processes or institutions.

I think the term "identity politics" is a bit misleading. It's rooted in the 1970's, ie "the personal is political" and the word "politics" is used in a broader sense to encompass economic and social factors as well as political factors.

The question of how globalization (however you define it - I presume you mean increased economic interchange among countries, but you might mean cultural interchange) affects certain groups fits quite squarely into political science. But I am not sure what you mean by community stability and group productivity... if you can spell out that part a bit more clearly perhaps we can advise you.

And yes, while a lot of the work on identity is about politicization and violence, not all of it is.

wow, I can't believe I wrote this last year. Thanks for ressurecting the thread, especially since I'll be applying to grad programs this year.

When I talked about group stability and productivity, I really meant communal conflict and social mobility for marginalized groups in India.

My interests have evolved since I last posted. Thank you Rochester, but I'm also curious about formal modelling and comparative politics. Unfortunately, very few people have I clue what I'm talking about. I'm interested in group dynamics, and modelling how group identities are acquired under institutions (civil society and associational networks) and there role. Any help would be greatly appreciated.