Applied Math BA to Biostatistic

To get into a decent MS program. The only required math is generally Calc I, II, and III, diff eq, and linear algebra. It is recommended that you know at least one programming language, but it surprisingly not required to have taken a statistics course (although it is highly recommended). Obviously decent grades in math/CS classes are essential, but admissions committees in Biostats also place a heavy emphasis on communications skills. Depending on the university, good grades in the MS is usually adequate preparation for a PhD with the exception of an additional course or two in real analysis.

I have a bachelor's in applied mathematics - no real analysis course taken. What would I need to do to get into a decent MS Biostatistics program and from there, maybe a PhD program?

You don't need real analysis or CS coursework to be accepted to an MS or PhD program, that's for sure. I don't even have a math degree and I was accepted to a few decent schools. I think the best bit of advice is to write your personal statement so that it reflects a deep passion for Biostatistics and how it can be used as a tool to prevent/treat human disease. Good grades and a decent GRE score are important but keep in mind that the people you are competing with for admission will have these traits as well. That's why it's essential that you use your personal statement to set you apart from other applicants. Have you somehow, perhaps through experience of some kind, demonstrated your interest in Biostatistics? I think this is important as well.

Thank you both of you. My undergraduate grades are not so great due to life circumstances and immaturity. I never went to class or studied, only crammed. I have calculus, linear algebra, and diff eq, but the grades are A, C, A, C+, D respectively. I also have probability theory, math statistics and applied prob and stat, with grades C+, A, B.

Three solutions I can think of: 1) Is it alright if I supplement them with the Math GRE? 2) Or should I repeat coursework? 3) What if I do a MPH in Biostatistics first (no calculus) and get good grades there?

What kind of programming language is recommended. Does R count? My GRE quant. is only 750, first time taken. I do have a passion for biostatistics (and health in general) as a chronic, genetic disease has affected me and my family. I am fairly intelligent, but I am scared that my math is too weak.

Thanks.

Edited by giantpanda

Thank you both of you. My undergraduate grades are not so great due to life circumstances and immaturity. I never went to class or studied, only crammed. I have calculus, linear algebra, and diff eq, but the grades are A, C, A, C+, D respectively. I also have probability theory, math statistics and applied prob and stat, with grades C+, A, B.

Three solutions I can think of: 1) Is it alright if I supplement them with the Math GRE? 2) Or should I repeat coursework? 3) What if I do a MPH in Biostatistics first (no calculus) and get good grades there?

What kind of programming language is recommended. Does R count? My GRE quant. is only 750, first time taken. I do have a passion for biostatistics (and health in general) as a chronic, genetic disease has affected me and my family. I am fairly intelligent, but I am scared that my math is too weak.

Thanks.

As far as programming languages go, R is a great one to know in statistics, and that will boost your application. The math GRE is intense on higher level mathematics (like analysis), so unless you think you can do exceptionally well on this test, I would focus more on bring up your regular GRE quant section first. As far as coursework goes, if you pick out a program you are interested, you can always call/email and ask if they recommend retaking any of the courses. I would say the C's and D's on your transcript in the core math/stats classes probably want to be brought up to an A/B level, but it also depends on which school you want to go to.

Also check out the Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS) offered at many universities; these can be great experiences that will aid in an application to any biostatistics program, as well as give you a feel for what biostatistics is really all about. The other suggestion is to find opportunities to gain experience in using statistics in applied settings (like an internship). If you don't have the best math grades, it's not the end of the world, but most departments are going to want to know that you can handle the coursework and the challenges that the department has to offer, and you can show this in having successful experiences involving statistics outside the classroom.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited by Durf