History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Does a one-year fellowship increase the odds of obtaining money later? Any thoughts in general?

Generally, yes. The number of programs offering funding packages with multi-year guarantees is dwindling. The program I'm in did away with them because of unsure finances (as a state school with a legislature that doesn't prioritize higher education) and to weed out the occasional asshole-- as well as to give people different opportunities in teaching and public history. If you work hard and make a good impression (get to know everyone on the graduate committee!) I doubt a program that had already funded you would cease to unless they were really, really broke. People inside a program are often given priority over people applying so being there gives you a huge advantage. I would take any kind of funding as a very, very good indicator of how the department feels about you and your ability to be successful in their program.

As with pretty much any issue that's come up since admissions letters went out-- don't be afraid to call and talk to the Director of Graduate Studies.

Still waiting on three schools. I think I will call Temple sometime this week, as e-mail to two different people seem to have been ignored. Rutgers said they planned to post their decisions by April 1st. As for Claremont Graduate University...I have no idea when they will get back to me.

I, too, am a Future Davis Rejectee who wishes they would just get their act together. I can't wait to see which inadequacies of mine warrant a Y in the box on that website of theirs.

Sonic - I checked the application website and got the official rejection today; I had the following box checked: "Application is inappropriate for this program."

And I'm thinking, "really? An application for a History Ph.D. is inappropriate for the History Department?" I could understand a check in the box about there not being a suitable professor, or even inadequate preparation for advanced study in the field, because, admittedly, I did not major in history among other things, but I have to say I think I picked the appropriate program for my application. I'm sure there was no real thought put into selecting a reason for denial, but come on, they could do better than that.

Sonic - I checked the application website and got the official rejection today; I had the following box checked: "Application is inappropriate for this program."

And I'm thinking, "really? An application for a History Ph.D. is inappropriate for the History Department?" I could understand a check in the box about there not being a suitable professor, or even inadequate preparation for advanced study in the field, because, admittedly, I did not major in history among other things, but I have to say I think I picked the appropriate program for my application. I'm sure there was no real thought put into selecting a reason for denial, but come on, they could do better than that.

I had the same box checked. Shame on my application for being so inappropriate! The nerve of it, really.

Still waiting on three schools. I think I will call Temple sometime this week, as e-mail to two different people seem to have been ignored. Rutgers said they planned to post their decisions by April 1st. As for Claremont Graduate University...I have no idea when they will get back to me.

Finally heard back from Temple, they sent me a rejection letter in the mail. They never posted their decision on the OwlNet site.

So, I should hear from Rutgers today or tomorrow according to the person I spoke to when I called them last week.

Finally heard back from Temple, they sent me a rejection letter in the mail. They never posted their decision on the OwlNet site.

So, I should hear from Rutgers today or tomorrow according to the person I spoke to when I called them last week.

I should hear from Rutgers today. I guess I'll wait till tomorrow or Friday to call them if I don't hear today. I'm ready for this to be over.

Mine hasn't either.

Status has not changed on the website, but I just found out that I am waitlisted at Rutgers! It is my first choice and I DESPERATELY want to go there, so if any of y'all don't, then please please reject sooner rather than later! No pressure or anything, though! :D

I called Rutgers about an hour ago, and was told the person I needed to talk to was on the phone and she would call me back. I'm worried that it will get to be 5:00 and she won't call back. I'm tempted to call them again at 4:30 or 4:45, but I am afraid that might be a bit pushy and annoying. I would really like to hear from Rutgers before the weekend starts though.

Edit: So I called them back, but no one answered the phone at 4:30. I guess they all left for the weekend. Now I'll have to wait until Monday.

I called Rutgers about an hour ago, and was told the person I needed to talk to was on the phone and she would call me back. I'm worried that it will get to be 5:00 and she won't call back. I'm tempted to call them again at 4:30 or 4:45, but I am afraid that might be a bit pushy and annoying. I would really like to hear from Rutgers before the weekend starts though.

Edit: So I called them back, but no one answered the phone at 4:30. I guess they all left for the weekend. Now I'll have to wait until Monday.

That's because Rutgers offices run from 830-430

In continuing with being miffed at Rutgers, I just got off the phone with their office. I was told that "most decisions have been made," and that if I haven't heard, I'm "probably on some kind of waitlist." Which I might believe, if I didn't know from these boards that no one has been rejected from Rutgers without contacting them first. Moreover, the administrator said that I probably won't hear until closer to the April 15 deadline. Argh. I've been assuming a rejection from Rutgers for weeks, but if I were to be accepted with funding, I'd at least have to consider it. I wanted to officially commit to UCLA this week, and still might do so. I just don't know if it's foolish to do that with the Rutgers decision still pending.

In continuing with being miffed at Rutgers, I just got off the phone with their office. I was told that "most decisions have been made," and that if I haven't heard, I'm "probably on some kind of waitlist." Which I might believe, if I didn't know from these boards that no one has been rejected from Rutgers without contacting them first. Moreover, the administrator said that I probably won't hear until closer to the April 15 deadline. Argh. I've been assuming a rejection from Rutgers for weeks, but if I were to be accepted with funding, I'd at least have to consider it. I wanted to officially commit to UCLA this week, and still might do so. I just don't know if it's foolish to do that with the Rutgers decision still pending.

Rutgers is being ridiculous and I'm sure you have a strong desire just to tell them "forget about it" because of it, but it probably makes sense to wait it out and see what they say (as others have mentioned, at least you'll be getting your application fee's worth then). I withdrew an application a few years ago under similar circumstances and have always wondered what the end result would have been if I'd gotten in and whether it would have changed anything no matter how sure I was at the time. Also, if UCLA isn't offering any funding, you shouldn't feel bad about making them wait until April 15.

I don't feel bad about making UCLA wait, but finalizing my plans would certainly feel better for me. Since I want in-state tuition at UCLA but am not sure if they'll give it to me, it also would be nice to get the paperwork in sooner rather than later. It probably is wiser to wait on Rutgers for at least a little while, though. It's just very frustrating.

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Rutgers like, I don't know, waitlisted everyone they didn't accept? I'm getting that feeling very, very distinctly and they're being super vague about the nature of this "waitlist."

Rutgers isn't my dream school, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go elsewhere unless they offer me funding. I do want to wait till I hear from all the schools I applied to before I make a decision though.

The person I talked to seemed pretty sure that they would be able to let people know by April 15th. Then again, that same person said that all decisions would be posted on April 1st on the status website, and my status page still says "no decision" even though I'm apparently waitlisted.

I think what they meant is that they can tell you if you are on the waitlist by April 15 - I bet the actual acceptance/rejection comes later. Remember that those they extended the initial offers to don't even have to respond until April 15 - if they don't accept/deny earlier then there's no way we'll know earlier. I really would assume that we'll know our admissions status after the 15th, when the department has had time to sift through the fallout from initial offers and then decide which ones of us they want (if any). But I hope I'm wrong! I would love to know sooner.

Also, though I wish I could scare you all away by saying their funding is shite, it's really not. Rutgers fully funds everyone they admit. It is something they pride themselves on. Good package at aprrox. 18k a year - 4 years of funding if you come in with an MA, and 5 if with only a BA.

I think what they meant is that they can tell you if you are on the waitlist by April 15 - I bet the actual acceptance/rejection comes later. Remember that those they extended the initial offers to don't even have to respond until April 15 - if they don't accept/deny earlier then there's no way we'll know earlier. I really would assume that we'll know our admissions status after the 15th, when the department has had time to sift through the fallout from initial offers and then decide which ones of us they want (if any). But I hope I'm wrong! I would love to know sooner.

Also, though I wish I could scare you all away by saying their funding is shite, it's really not. Rutgers fully funds everyone they admit. It is something they pride themselves on. Good package at aprrox. 18k a year - 4 years of funding if you come in with an MA, and 5 if with only a BA.

I am guessing only those without a solid funding offer from a solid program can wait until after the 15th-- nothing to loose.

I am guessing only those without a solid funding offer from a solid program can wait until after the 15th-- nothing to loose.

Maybe - but I have no funding at the school I was accepted to, and I still have to reply by April 15. I'm going to try to negotiate that deadline, but they aren't necessarily flexible.