History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

i think that a department's atmosphere contributes a lot to the quality of your work. i was scared off from applying to a few schools based on the recommendations of my undergrad advisors who told me that school A "is like poison" or "everyone at school B hates each other" or "yeah, school C is good, but they just want to churn out as many PhDs as possible and they don't really give students any individual attention."

Strangelight and anyone else: I would be very, um, curious to know which departments you have heard have a "toxic" atmosphere.

BAM -- I just got pwned! :D

This is not something I had thought and yes -- I agree with you guys. School 2 does make a lot more sense academically -- in the sense that it seems a lot more accommodating of me. And yes, School 1 didn't accept me straight off the bat -- that does say something.

And,

(Actually, I was just accepted to school 1)

Ok, so now it's an actual choice (between Columbia and Michigan).

You need to figure out:

*Which faculty (at-large) will actually support you as you, whether or not your interests stay the same or change

*In what type of intellectual atmosphere do you thrive

*Where do you want to live and where can you live on the stipend

It's about the balance between them all, and only you can decide which attributes are most important to you. Basically you need to rank the faculty, the intellectual community, and the location and determine how to weigh each. Just make sure to tell whichever department you turn down the real reason why, especially if it's location (they won't care on a personal level, but it matters for strategic decision making).

???

Just when I thought I had everything figured it out (i.e. going to NYU), an eleventh hour surprise. I've just been admitted off the waitlist at UChicago with full funding. And they still want to know my response by tomorrow.

I don't expect to get much sleep tonight.

just chose Michigan

Thanks folks!!

Congrats on your decision. I'm just me and not you, but I can't help but think it was the right one. And the midwest truly can be a great place when you appreciate it on its terms and not try to make it something it's not.

Just when I thought I had everything figured it out (i.e. going to NYU), an eleventh hour surprise. I've just been admitted off the waitlist at UChicago with full funding. And they still want to know my response by tomorrow.

Congratulations! I have no idea which is better for your field, and I know what it's like to have resolved yourself on one course of action only to have things shaken up at the last minute, but it's a good spot to be in.

I thought I had a secure decision, but in the past few days I've received calls from Yale notifying me that I up high up on their wait list and that I should hold off on making a decision. In making my original decision, I made visits to the school, corresponded with contacts, and took advantage of visits. As I didn't think my chances at Yale were likely (until the phone calls of the last few days), I didn't do much Yale-specific research. This is my first step: Does anyone know what Yale funding offers look like? Does anyone know anything about the graduate student life there? Can anyone please offer any information that may help me make this decision? I don't want to be blind-sighted if I do get a call from them. Help would be greatly appreciated, as this is really down to the wire.

I thought I had a secure decision, but in the past few days I've received calls from Yale notifying me that I up high up on their wait list and that I should hold off on making a decision. In making my original decision, I made visits to the school, corresponded with contacts, and took advantage of visits. As I didn't think my chances at Yale were likely (until the phone calls of the last few days), I didn't do much Yale-specific research. This is my first step: Does anyone know what Yale funding offers look like? Does anyone know anything about the graduate student life there? Can anyone please offer any information that may help me make this decision? I don't want to be blind-sighted if I do get a call from them. Help would be greatly appreciated, as this is really down to the wire.

Funding at Yale = $25,500/yr for five years, plus what seemed like pretty good health insurance by grad student standards (can include spouse/partner for a fee). When I visited, there seemed to be lots of extra money for travel and summer research. Grad students seemed generally happy in my field (early modern), area around campus was pretty livable, all around good situation. I don't know what you're choosing against, but I was really impressed during my visit and was pretty torn between Yale and my other options. I turned them down a couple days ago though to do a different program. Best of luck!

Elanvita -- What field/time-period are you looking at? Yale is notorious for being EXTREMELY politically charged in some fields. That said, it's an amazingly well funded program for its location -- relatively low COL + huge stipend. And maybe technocat can confirm this, but I don't think they have a teaching requirement. From the grad students I spoke to, the department is fragmented but gets along -- i.e. people are friendly, but don't expect a very chummy chummy relationship with others in the department.

I was also waitlisted there and had a really bad experience with that -- professors/DGS/administrative assistants not responding to emails etc. I know that that soured me towards them -- but perhaps you have had a different experience. If they went so far as to tell you you were high on the waitlist, I would imagine you are at the very top right now. Did they give you any estimates as to when you would know? If you are seriously considering the program, I would suggest you ask professors there if you could talk to them and spend some quality time on the phone trying to get a feel for the place -- fit a month's worth of research into a day, so-to-speak. I know it might feel presumptuous to talk to profs as if you had already been admitted -- but in the end, THEY told you to hold off giving an acceptance to another school!

Best of luck!

I've pretty much decided I'm going to WSU. However, I still haven't heard from CGU. I contacted them yesterday to see if I could get any more information about when I might hear, but haven't heard anything back.

I just want this to be over so I can start planning for next year.

Elanvita -- What field/time-period are you looking at? Yale is notorious for being EXTREMELY politically charged in some fields. That said, it's an amazingly well funded program for its location -- relatively low COL + huge stipend. And maybe technocat can confirm this, but I don't think they have a teaching requirement. From the grad students I spoke to, the department is fragmented but gets along -- i.e. people are friendly, but don't expect a very chummy chummy relationship with others in the department.

I was also waitlisted there and had a really bad experience with that -- professors/DGS/administrative assistants not responding to emails etc. I know that that soured me towards them -- but perhaps you have had a different experience. If they went so far as to tell you you were high on the waitlist, I would imagine you are at the very top right now. Did they give you any estimates as to when you would know? If you are seriously considering the program, I would suggest you ask professors there if you could talk to them and spend some quality time on the phone trying to get a feel for the place -- fit a month's worth of research into a day, so-to-speak. I know it might feel presumptuous to talk to profs as if you had already been admitted -- but in the end, THEY told you to hold off giving an acceptance to another school!

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. Field: Intellectual history, late modern (mainly France and Germany in the 19th and 20th centuries). I've had an ok experience being wait-listed (my calls have been returned, questions answered, etc), but it seems difficult to pass up a school I've thoroughly researched for a program I don't know much about. I've had a really good experience with the other school-- great location, personal attention, good academic fit, adequate funding package. I just wanted a chance to explore all my options and make a fully informed decision. I don't know if I can do all of that in a day.

Funding at Yale = $25,500/yr for five years, plus what seemed like pretty good health insurance by grad student standards (can include spouse/partner for a fee). When I visited, there seemed to be lots of extra money for travel and summer research. Grad students seemed generally happy in my field (early modern), area around campus was pretty livable, all around good situation. I don't know what you're choosing against, but I was really impressed during my visit and was pretty torn between Yale and my other options. I turned them down a couple days ago though to do a different program. Best of luck!

Thank you for the information. I've spoken with a number of people over the last two days (people on the forum, students there, professors at my undergrad institution). Lots of conflicting information on both extremes. Ultimately, I don't think I have enough information on the school to choose them over the good offer I do have. Some have told me that Yale is difficult to pass up (top ranked program, great funding), but I just need a sense of where I'd be likely to do my best work.

I wanted to say thank you to everybody at thegradcafe.com and especially to folks who posted about their experiences this year in the history forum. The sharing of information and the sense of community provided at gradcafe was very helpful in a long, stressful process. Best of luck to all, both those accepted and planning for starting their programs and those planning for another admissions cycle next year. Cheers!

Hey, kiddos! I don't know if you remember me from last year (I'm the guy who started this thread), but I made my decision and picked Yale's MA in International Relations! I get to have a mix of professional training and a heavy academic load that will leave me prepared for either a PhD or a straight-up policy career, a combo that none of my other accepted schools could offer.

Hey, kiddos! I don't know if you remember me from last year (I'm the guy who started this thread), but I made my decision and picked Yale's MA in International Relations! I get to have a mix of professional training and a heavy academic load that will leave me prepared for either a PhD or a straight-up policy career, a combo that none of my other accepted schools could offer.

Congrats! As someone also on Round 2, I am very happy for you! :D

Congrats buddy. That program looks pretty sweet.