History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Condolences to all the people rejected from Yale. I hope your other applications go better.

Much appreciated. At least I'm not the only one... it appears rejections were sent out en masse. Who wants to live in New Haven anyway?

In all seriousness however, congrats to anyone accepted at Yale.

It's almost kind of funny, because for a second there I thought "Wow, everyone is getting in this year! I remember last year being a total slaughter! But it looks like everything is up and people are getting in!" and then the Yale rejections came out. it really does seem though like everyone is getting this year, or at least the people using the board... perhaps there is some luck in history '09?

As for the no-funding-dilemma, I have no intention of paying for it. I will visit if it is in a really nice area, say on a beach where they serve tropical, sweet beverages with rum, but I will definitely not go since I already have an offer in hand with full funding and all the assorted statements that go along with that from a good program that actually trumps the unfunded one.

I cannot believe all of those people were rejected from Yale today. That's insane. And someone said something about 9500 applications! I didn't apply to Yale, but I'm sure it'll probably be the same everywhere else: too many applications... scared!!!

I cannot believe all of those people were rejected from Yale today. That's insane. And someone said something about 9500 applications! I didn't apply to Yale, but I'm sure it'll probably be the same everywhere else: too many applications... scared!!!

I think Yale must be in a category of its own as far as the number of applications it attracts based on its stature. Call me pragmatic, but I just assumed there was no way in hell I was getting in, so my resources were probably better utilized elsewhere.

Count me in as another Yale rejection. No surprises there.

Am I the only one who is hoping for a rejection on Friday 13th? However optimistic I may be, I know there are more rejections to come and if one arrives on Friday at least I could get a kick out of it.

Am I the only one who is hoping for a rejection on Friday 13th? However optimistic I may be, I know there are more rejections to come and if one arrives on Friday at least I could get a kick out of it.

If you don't get one this Friday, you'll have another chance on Friday March 13th. :wink:

I think Yale must be in a category of its own as far as the number of applications it attracts based on its stature. Call me pragmatic, but I just assumed there was no way in hell I was getting in, so my resources were probably better utilized elsewhere.

I'm almost certain that the 9500 refers to the grad school as a whole. There probably aren't even 10,000 people applying to history grad school in the entire US this cycle.

I'm almost certain that the 9500 refers to the grad school as a whole. There probably aren't even 10,000 people applying to history grad school in the entire US this cycle.

Definitely; I didn't think Yale History would get 9500 on its own, but just making the point that Yale attracts a lot of applications where the reaction upon rejection is "not surprised." I wouldn't have been either, so didn't bother.

Anyone else on here apply to Duke? What does your application page look like? Mine just says "submitted" and shows when my letters of rec were submitted. Is this what its supposed to look like? It makes me nervous when the pages don't say "complete" or something. I'm getting paranoid that my application was lost in the shuffle.....

I'm so glad mine isn't the only one! I've had all my applications in since November and they all still say the same thing so I was starting to worry.

So far all the notifications posted have been through email, but since I can't check that at work I have to settle for the online applications...

Very unsure of how to post this without sounding like a total jerk or, on the other hand, an idiot... But I just checked the results again and there was another one from Yale. And the comment was awful, heartbreaking. If that person was serious, I think that is the saddest thing I've heard in a long time. If he/she was kidding/not serious, that is the most ridiculously horrible thing to say, even if you were upset about being rejected. Anyway, just a thought.

Whoa. I'm so glad I didn't even bother with Yale. I was thisclose to applying but... yikes. It would have been throwing away the application fee, and I don't think they need my help feeding their coffers. :P

My condolences to everyone who got that unfortunate letter today. Just keep your eyes on the fact that there are sooooooo many more schools to go!

It seems to me that there are more people posting on here who applied to Chicago than Yale, anyway... does anyone else believe that to be true? I'm thinking that my best chance there is getting referred to the MA.