History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

I just wanted to express my appreciation to all my fellow historians for the civil tone that's been maintained here (crazy NYU wannabe from the other day notwithstanding). We've all taken some hits--and some of us doubtless will take some more--but by and large you've handled your damaged nerves with dignity and grace. I haven't seen many historians resort to profanity when Harvard fails to recognize their peerless genius. (That's why it's called Harvard, people! Get over yourselves already!)

I wish that I could say the same for everyone on this site. The one that really drove me batty yesterday was the guy/girl who posted a rejection from a top 25 program by griping about an "unsolicited" e-mail from a "lowly office secretary." I don't imagine that anyone specifically "solicits" a rejection, but really? Did s/he just not want to know? And a word to the wise from someone who's worked in academia off and on seemingly since some of you were in junior high: Do not disrespect those "lowly office secretaries." They hold far more power than you know. You want them to like you.

Maybe, but regardless, I had one professor tell me that they didn't feel it would be appropriate to converse while admissions deliberations were actively under way, and I can see their point.

Agreed. If you have a specific question that you really need answered, something not directly related to your application, OK. If they contact you, awesome. But I think anything else can come across as schmoozing and/or pressure, and neither helps your cause.

For the people who have given up hope on NYU, I would wait till you get official notification to resign yourselves. Applicants are notified at different times depending on their field, their adviser, etc. Some of my friends were not notified that they were accepted or rejected until March, some not even till April. Don't worry!

Additionally, I know it's tempting to try to figure out why admissions decisions are made the way they are made in order to predict whether or not you will get in somewhere. This is just going to drive you crazy. This was a really competitive year everywhere, and it is impossible to know what schools are looking for by analyzing the information that is posted on this website. Most top tier history PhD cohorts are motley crews with different backgrounds, levels of professional and educational experience, and language skills.

Anyway, in sum, my advice is just wait until you hear. If you get in, great, if not, it's probably not specific problem with you or your application. Decisions like this are often made on a very arbitrary basis. I hope this quells your anxieties a bit.

Did anyone follow up on their application and ask why it was rejected?

I don't mean this in an entitled-to-admission kind of way, but as a way to try and improve their application for the next cycle. It seems kind of awkward to contact the profs who denied you, but it seems like it could have some money next cycle.

I suppose my fear is contacting them and getting the reply that I'm hopeless. :lol:

I don't mean this in an entitled-to-admission kind of way, but as a way to try and improve their application for the next cycle. It seems kind of awkward to contact the profs who denied you, but it seems like it could have some money next cycle.

I suppose my fear is contacting them and getting the reply that I'm hopeless. :lol:

I did for both of mine; I've been told that it's a good idea to do so (although I've never planned to reapply next year). One DGS wrote back, just repeating the obvious about the large number of applicants and the limited number of spots available. This made me feel stupid and incapable of performing simple math. So perhaps I should infer that my application led them to believe that I am stupid and incapable of performing simple math?

:wink:

Is the UConn admit on here? What's your field, if you haven't already said? I was starting to think I was the only one here...

:D

It looks like I'm in there, but, since they can't make funded offers without a state budget, my wife won't let me call it an acceptance yet.

I've heard of people doing this and getting useful feedback. And hey, even if your fear becomes reality, at least you know not to waste time with that school next year if you know that there's nothing you can do to make that professor interested in you. And on the flip side, it shows your continued interest and dedication to learning/improving yourself. Plus I don't know too many people who don't like being reassured that someone finds their advice/opinion valuable, even if just a grad school applicant.

I did last year because I really needed to know. I did wait, however, until toward the end of the admissions cycle when all the craziness dissipated. I knew my GREs sucked at the time and that the was basically the answer I got. So I prepped all summer this year, and hopefully it will improve my chances this time around.

I just wanted to express my appreciation to all my fellow historians for the civil tone that's been maintained here (crazy NYU wannabe from the other day notwithstanding). We've all taken some hits--and some of us doubtless will take some more--but by and large you've handled your damaged nerves with dignity and grace. I haven't seen many historians resort to profanity when Harvard fails to recognize their peerless genius. (That's why it's called Harvard, people! Get over yourselves already!)

I wish that I could say the same for everyone on this site. The one that really drove me batty yesterday was the guy/girl who posted a rejection from a top 25 program by griping about an "unsolicited" e-mail from a "lowly office secretary." I don't imagine that anyone specifically "solicits" a rejection, but really? Did s/he just not want to know? And a word to the wise from someone who's worked in academia off and on seemingly since some of you were in junior high: Do not disrespect those "lowly office secretaries." They hold far more power than you know. You want them to like you.

Well said. I've worked (in the position as a "lowly office secretary") and taught long enough to know that we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. I love the sense of humor on this board. And respect, that is, oodles of respect for everyone in all the right places goes a long way. It doesn't pay to go through life as a jerk. You'll get so much more accomplished with a smile and by asking nicely. And as you mentioned, it seems like most people here feel the same way. :)

Hey has anyone else been waitlisted anywhere? Any news on how waiting lists for grad school work? I've been trying to get the info from Columbia with no luck...

I've been waitlisted at one of my schools and so I asked the DGS how the list worked, etc. From what she told me there (and this may or may not be the same at Columbia), the list is divided by field...for example, I was told that I was at the top of the list for my field, so if enough people decline to attend in my field, I get a spot. If people in another field decline, then the top person waitlisted in that field gets the spot...Hope this helps and good luck!

I've been waitlisted at one of my schools and so I asked the DGS how the list worked, etc. From what she told me there (and this may or may not be the same at Columbia), the list is divided by field...for example, I was told that I was at the top of the list for my field, so if enough people decline to attend in my field, I get a spot. If people in another field decline, then the top person waitlisted in that field gets the spot...Hope this helps and good luck!

thanks a ton! :)

more on NYU...

a few days ago i sent an email to the grad secretary because i had a question about transcripts. (long story semi-short: when i applied in 2007 for journalism, i sent a transcript that was still degree in progress, when i applied in 2008 i sent a transcript with degree conferred and, frankly, high grades. i wanted to make sure the school received my most recent transcript because it was better than the one i'd sent in 2007).

anyway, the grad secretary at NYU told me, as of this morning,

Thanks for checking in about your application. We do in deed have both transcripts included in your file. The department is still reviewing applications; we hope to be able to tell you something more specific in the next couple weeks. Decision letters will be sent by postal mail by the Graduate School.

now, i know people have been phoned, but i take this to mean that not all the decisions are over. maybe only some fields have been decided, maybe only the first-round yes's have been told. like someone else said, NYU was admitting people with funding as late as the end of march or the beginning of april, so until you hear a decision from them, just wait it out. (this little pep talk is as much for me as for anyone else...)

more on NYU...

a few days ago i sent an email to the grad secretary because i had a question about transcripts. (long story semi-short: when i applied in 2007 for journalism, i sent a transcript that was still degree in progress, when i applied in 2008 i sent a transcript with degree conferred and, frankly, high grades. i wanted to make sure the school received my most recent transcript because it was better than the one i'd sent in 2007).

now, i know people have been phoned, but i take this to mean that not all the decisions are over. maybe only some fields have been decided, maybe only the first-round yes's have been told. like someone else said, NYU was admitting people with funding as late as the end of march or the beginning of april, so until you hear a decision from them, just wait it out. (this little pep talk is as much for me as for anyone else...)

You are awesome. 8)

I know someone else on here applied to Delaware and I found out some info today, that you might already know but here it is anyway: I found out from a grad student who talked to a prof. that the committee will meet in two weeks (second week of March I suppose) to make decisions, and the visiting days are March 19-20th, so there will definitely be a decision by then.

I know someone else on here applied to Delaware and I found out some info today, that you might already know but here it is anyway: I found out from a grad student who talked to a prof. that the committee will meet in two weeks (second week of March I suppose) to make decisions, and the visiting days are March 19-20th, so there will definitely be a decision by then.

Do you know if the visiting days are for the general history program or for the American Culture program? I know the AC program has visiting days for successful applicants that is a separate entity from the general history program. I mean, if the committee met in two weeks to make decisions they can't just tell admitted students to come the following week, in terms of arranging travel, etc. That's why I was wondering if the visiting days were for the same program. In any case, thanks so much for relaying this info. I can't wait to find out! Good luck to you.

more on NYU...

Thanks for this update although the fact that they are only accepting 2-3 per field is still extremely discouraging.

Fortiesgirl, I'm assuming it's just the general history program, because this person is doing history and museum studies, not American Culture. I think it's just a prospective student day, maybe somehow different than an admitted students day. At least I would hope so, given that, like you said, there's only a week difference to make travel plans. Good luck to you too! If I find anything else out, I'll let you know.

If anyone remembers my freaking-out post from a few pages ago, I'm pleased to report that I have been accepted to UCLA, though without funding. (This was after receiving five rejections and no acceptances.) I'm not sure whether I can accept the offer without funding, but I still have to hear from a few places and find out more about the workings of UCLA's department. (Unfortunately, most of the places I have yet to hear from aren't as good as UCLA both location-wise and in terms of the program.) It's kind of funny, because today I was finally accepting the idea that I might not get into a program of my choice this year, and I can just take a year off, improve myself as a candidate, and re-apply to some new places and some of the same places. I was getting to like that idea, too, and talked about it a fair bit with my profs. Then I get home today to find the UCLA acceptance letter in my e-mail! Wow. I was a bit uncertain about getting into UCLA, because while I had an interview back in October with Famous Potential Adviser, I wasn't sure how well I did and Potential Adviser made it clear that I'd need more languages. Our research interests match up, though I've since altered my own interests, and my profs. are friends with her. So, all of that was probably helpful, but it still felt great to know that I'm in somewhere I like and that there wasn't something really off-putting in my LoRs or something. I still want to find out more about the finances, and the experiences of UCLA grad students. I know they have the largest department in the country, which certainly has its advantages, but going there I couldn't help but feel kind of nervous and overwhelmed, coming from a school with about 800 undergrads. Well, at least I feel like I have the choice of grad school next year, though the funding situation is certainly suboptimal.

Okay, I got rejected from my top priority school.

I want to ask those of you who got admission from some schools that weren't your tops,

but got rejected from the school you wanted to get into the most,

what do you do?

Do you go to the schools you got admitted into, or do you apply again next cycle?

I want to ask those of you who got admission from some schools that weren't your tops,

what do you do?

Do you go to the schools you got admitted into, or do you apply again next cycle?

I think maybe you visit the schools you're admitted to, if it's financially possible, and see if you don't feel differently after interacting with the people and department on a personal level? Clearly you applied to those backup schools for a reason other than just to make a charitable donation in the form of an application fee, so you probably owe it to yourself to see. There are no guarantees on next year either, unfortunately, so you don't want to regret not at least checking them out. And unless the economy picks up in the next year (somewhat doubtful at best), admissions/funding could be even tougher next year.

for me, i'd just go to one of the schools i was admitted to. i'd have to ask myself what i expected to significantly change in my application in order to get accepted a second time around. if i'm not going to redo the GRE (the scores were already pretty competitive), take enough courses to budge my GPA (near impossible), or improve the quality of my reference letters (out of my control), that means the only thing that i feel kept me out this year was either my writing sample or my statement of purpose. yeah, i could change those, but would the change be enough to suddenly make myself a consideration for my top school? how will my app be any different?

yeah, this year is particularly tough. fewer spaces (almost 50% fewer in some cases) and almost twice as many people applying as normal. but who's to say that won't be the case again next year?

the way i look at it is, i only applied to places where i'd be happy doing my degree. if i was really only going to consider my top school, i would've only applied to my top school.

what do you do?

You definitely go to the other schools, unless there is some overwhelmingly obvious reason why you can't.