History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

I've seen at least two people who got tired of waiting and called or e-mailed Notre Dame to ask what their results were. For the ND applicants, does that seem to be the only way to get a decision? :-)

That does seem to be the only way to get an answer--it's how I got mine.

That does seem to be the only way to get an answer--it's how I got mine.

I'm glad that's working for some people; I emailed my only outstanding school several days ago and have been completely ignored. And I believe they're going into spring break next week, so I probably won't hear anything then either. This despite being fairly sure that all admits were notified long ago.

I just received word back from my final school. That makes two acceptances, and six rejections. I'll be visiting both schools in the next week and a half, and then I'll know what's happening with my life for the first time in seven months. :-)

Best of luck to all those who still have some waiting ahead of them.

I just received word back from my final school. That makes two acceptances, and six rejections. I'll be visiting both schools in the next week and a half, and then I'll know what's happening with my life for the first time in seven months. :-)

Best of luck to all those who still have some waiting ahead of them.

Are you going to SC's visit day this Friday? If you are, we should talk.

I noticed that someone has posted an acceptance to CU Boulder's MA program....has anyone else heard anything? I know that they say the third week of March is the earliest that they notify, but I am anxious to receive my final rejection.....

So, it seems that someone else was offered admission to USC's public history MA, and was told that they would pay for travel expenses down to their Open House. USC told me that they couldn't pay for anything. What's up with that?

So, it seems that someone else was offered admission to USC's public history MA, and was told that they would pay for travel expenses down to their Open House. USC told me that they couldn't pay for anything. What's up with that?

Maybe it's based on distance from the school? I could see programs being willing to pay for travel expenses if you have to fly, but making a cut-off when they perceive you to be within driving distance? I really don't know otherwise; just a guess.

I'm within 8 hours, but I have to fly because I'm visually impared and can't drive, so that wouldn't be fair... I don't know if it's that, or that this person found out 2 days before I did and maybe they ran out of money by the time they admitted me? I don't know but geez it cost me 700 dollars! It's a good thing it's the only place I'm visiting!

I'm within 8 hours, but I have to fly because I'm visually impared and can't drive, so that wouldn't be fair... I don't know if it's that, or that this person found out 2 days before I did and maybe they ran out of money by the time they admitted me? I don't know but geez it cost me 700 dollars! It's a good thing it's the only place I'm visiting!

Ouch; I agree - doesn't seem fair. I think it's a universal wish on these forums, but it would be nice if graduate departments would be more transparent (that's all the rage these days anyway) - if they only have limited funds and it's first-come, first-serve, they should tell people. But don't just say "oh we don't pay for that." You're probably right in any case, so I wouldn't let it bother you (beyond the actual pain of the expense!). Enjoy your visit!

Ouch; I agree - doesn't seem fair. I think it's a universal wish on these forums, but it would be nice if graduate departments would be more transparent (that's all the rage these days anyway) - if they only have limited funds and it's first-come, first-serve, they should tell people. But don't just say "oh we don't pay for that." You're probably right in any case, so I wouldn't let it bother you (beyond the actual pain of the expense!). Enjoy your visit!

Right. I hope they don't have some kind of process in which they say one person admitted is more important than another. I mean, it's in the same program for the same degree so I'd think it should be equal. Oh well. It's not a big deal really, I just was curious about how that thing worked.

Finally accepted an offer today, and boy was it a sigh of relief to know that this horror is finally over. Good luck to everyone who is still awaiting results or weighing their options. I think this forum both exacerbated and ameliorated my anxiety during this process. I'm going to take a deep breath and consume a very large drink....

I'm glad that's working for some people; I emailed my only outstanding school several days ago and have been completely ignored. And I believe they're going into spring break next week, so I probably won't hear anything then either. This despite being fairly sure that all admits were notified long ago.

I've been ignored by the two schools that I e-mailed as well. I wonder if I should try calling? Perhaps if I still haven't heard by the time the month is over.

Did you email Temple? I haven't heard from them either. I think that's rather peculier that we haven't heard anything. I figured that if we had been rejected it would have been posted online by now.

Yep, I e-mailed Temple and Rutgers.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard from either of them, and wonder if I'm on some sort of unofficial waiting list. No one has posted Rutgers results since the last week of February, you would think that if they were going to reject everyone else they would have done so by now. As for Temple, they just started notifying recently, but I hear they want people to decide by April 1st unless they are waiting to hear about funding. Perhaps they are doing two rounds of acceptances and will notify more people after the 1st?

I'm ready for this to be over. If none of the places I'm waiting on accept me, I'm fine with that. I have one acceptance, and I would be happy to attend that school. I just want to know where I'm going to be in August so I can start planning.

Has anyone tried calling Rutgers? That might be a better way to do it. They're busy with prospective day today and tomorrow, and were on spring break last week, so if you want a more immediate response a phone call would probably get the job done.

I noticed that someone has posted an acceptance to CU Boulder's MA program....has anyone else heard anything? I know that they say the third week of March is the earliest that they notify, but I am anxious to receive my final rejection.....

I was told that acceptances will be sent out this week. Don't be so sure that you won't be accepted into their program! Both of the earlier postings for Boulder's history program were from individuals who received Fellowships. It is entirely possible that you will be accepted perhaps even with some sort of funding package, although I suspect that those receiving Fellowships will have all heard from the department by now.

Don't give up hope!

Has anyone tried calling Rutgers? That might be a better way to do it. They're busy with prospective day today and tomorrow, and were on spring break last week, so if you want a more immediate response a phone call would probably get the job done.

I just don't want to bug them too much, and I've heard that most places aren't allowed to give out decisions over the phone. However, if I don't hear soon, I'll have to resort to calling.

Has anyone else not heard from Columbia?

I don't want to go to Columbia; already accepted another offer. However, if I don't hear from them by, say, the end of April, would it be fair to ask for my application fee back? Anyone tried this?

I don't want to go to Columbia; already accepted another offer. However, if I don't hear from them by, say, the end of April, would it be fair to ask for my application fee back? Anyone tried this?

I have no experience with this, but I doubt that you'll get your fee back. I can't see a program giving back an application fee ever, unless maybe they decided not to admit anyone that year.

Besides, if you don't hear from them about whether you got in, what makes you think you'll hear from them about getting your money back? :-)

They're having it during the week!? That's sooo gauche. I mean really, requiring everyone to take off from work to schlep out to Jersey? tsk tsk, Rutgers, that's very inconsiderate.

They're having it during the week!? That's sooo gauche. I mean really, requiring everyone to take off from work to schlep out to Jersey? tsk tsk, Rutgers, that's very inconsiderate.

For some of us, it's much easier to get time off during the week...