History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Yeah I was one of the UCSD rejects posted today. Not at all surprised because there was not a good fit with faculty interests (at all), but there are only so many west coast schools to which to apply. Still one of the lower ranked schools I applied to, so worrisome. That was my first notification obviously so just hoping it gets better from here. :wink:

Synthla don't fret, got the rejection email from UCSD today myself, Also one of my lower ranked schools. Not great news but I wasn't really surprised at all. I was told early on by numerous profs at my undergrad that UCSD has a bit of a complex and that they had snubbed every single applicant from our uni previously. They told me they thought it was because we are a small liberal arts college in their neighborhood, an ego thing. In hindsight should have crossed them off the list and added somebody else. Anyways, the good news is that my professors also told me that those same candidates who were snubbed by UCSD were granted admission to other west coast universities (UCSB for example) and were successful at other great schools nationally. Congrats to those who have received acceptances, and to everybody else please stay positive!!

Someone posted that they received an admit to OSU... if that person is on here, what type of concentration are you going for?

Congrats to everyone who got admits so far! :D

Hey! I was the admit from OSU...I suppose I should have listed it as American History...I'm studying early American history. I just got an informal e-mail from a professor. The e-mail said the official letter would be sent "soon." Not sure if that helps...Good luck to everyone! :D

Synthla don't fret, got the rejection email from UCSD today myself, Also one of my lower ranked schools. Not great news but I wasn't really surprised at all. I was told early on by numerous profs at my undergrad that UCSD has a bit of a complex and that they had snubbed every single applicant from our uni previously. They told me they thought it was because we are a small liberal arts college in their neighborhood, an ego thing. In hindsight should have crossed them off the list and added somebody else. Anyways, the good news is that my professors also told me that those same candidates who were snubbed by UCSD were granted admission to other west coast universities (UCSB for example) and were successful at other great schools nationally. Congrats to those who have received acceptances, and to everybody else please stay positive!!

Thanks for the support; I also attended a SLAC, but not in the UCSD neighborhood. Clearly if the department is taking a conservative approach and looking for people with a BA from an R1 university and a 4.0 GPA, I'm not going to be their choice. But I would rather have been rejected by them than by anyone else on my list, so there's that. :) I'd be interested to hear from anyone who eventually does get in, just to see what they were seeking.

Hm, I received an email from a POI at Indiana that leads me to believe that at least some decisions might be forthcoming in the near future. But don't hold me to that.

Damn it. I saw the UCSB admit and you had the most recent post on Hist admissions and I thought it was you.

Damn it. I saw the UCSB admit and you had the most recent post on Hist admissions and I thought it was you.

No, I just went and checked and still no decision on the website for me. Interesting that the admit found out that way. I guarantee I'll be logging in about every 10 minutes now.

And of course today is the day I have to be busy at work.

No, I just went and checked and still no decision on the website for me. Interesting that the admit found out that way. I guarantee I'll be logging in about every 10 minutes now.

And of course today is the day I have to be busy at work.

Yeah, that blows my "if the website changes, they'll e-mail me about it" theory out the window. Which hadn't prevented me from logging on to all of them a few times a day anyway... But now I think we're going to crash UCSB's server.

Yeah, that blows my "if the website changes, they'll e-mail me about it" theory out the window. Which hadn't prevented me from logging on to all of them a few times a day anyway... But now I think we're going to crash UCSB's server.

It's occurred to me that I would be quite embarassed if anyone in the history department there ever checked the statistics for my account. I can't even imagine the number of log-ins that would be indicated.

It's occurred to me that I would be quite embarassed if anyone in the history department there ever checked the statistics for my account. I can't even imagine the number of log-ins that would be indicated.

Haha! This has been mentioned in another topic somewhere. Apparently the answer is, they don't check.

I sincerely doubt such statistics are kept, or checked.

And if they are, it appears admissions-anxiety is an inherent characteristic of prospectivus academicus. So no worries.

It's a little early to say that.

Slawken, also, I think that the two JHU admits in the results are actually the same person. The first post was from an informal e-mail from a professor, and the second says "official package described." I can't even find the first one now, which makes me think I am correct. Hopefully you haven't started drinking away your JHU sorrows yet for the day.

Slawken, also, I think that the two JHU admits in the results are actually the same person. The first post was from an informal e-mail from a professor, and the second says "official package described." I can't even find the first one now, which makes me think I am correct. Hopefully you haven't started drinking away your JHU sorrows yet for the day.

Thanks! You're probably right. I'm getting so damn neurotic I can't even concentrate on my work.

Found the UCSB decision notification on the website without word from the department or the grad school through email. Just gives you a link to the official admissions letter saying your in. I apologize if I am now the cause for obsessive website checking. I doubt that situation is typical. Still haven't been contacted by a professor or seen anything about funding. I was contacted about my file last week, saying that there were some considerations taking place. That was when I was posting about the strange email from the grad secretary and the cover sheet problem, so it seems like last Friday they made some decisions. My guess is that you guys should be hearing soon, hang in there. Synth, don't panic my professors were right.... at least about getting into another UC if snubbed by UCSD.

Found the UCSB decision notification on the website without word from the department or the grad school through email. Just gives you a link to the official admissions letter saying your in. I apologize if I am now the cause for obsessive website checking. I doubt that situation is typical. Still haven't been contacted by a professor or seen anything about funding. I was contacted about my file last week, saying that there were some considerations taking place. That was when I was posting about the strange email from the grad secretary and the cover sheet problem, so it seems like last Friday they made some decisions. My guess is that you guys should be hearing soon, hang in there. Synth, don't panic my professors were right.... at least about getting into another UC if snubbed by UCSD.

No panic here... you and I are in the exact opposite situation though; you are in without any word from anyone at the school... I have been in ongoing touch with a prof there and already have an on-campus meet and greet scheduled, but no one has actually said "you're in." It's just bizarre how these things work.

Congrats. I hope they send some funding your way.

Yay, congrats on UCSB!

I feel the pain of being a SLAC applicant having applied last year to a couple of PhD programs. Well, that's pretty much part of the reason why I'm in a MA program at a top 10 grad school... apparently, i need the damn name, the damn big-name professors, the damn resources, the damn classes that my SLAC didn't offer... and having to pay money for all this! This better be worth it when I re-apply next year... I still feel that it's unfair to be penalized for this even though I'm glad to have the experience now.

I'm still active on these boards for the sake of my friend who is applying in my field... and she hasn't heard yet.... *crosses fingers* If she doesn't get in anywhere, I'm screwed if I apply for Fall 2010.

I feel the pain of being a SLAC applicant having applied last year to a couple of PhD programs.

I still wouldn't trade my SLAC experience for anything though... I'm still quite actively involved with mine, even though I'm a couple thousand miles from it now. I've having a fun time calling admitted high school seniors right now, when all I really want are some phone calls of my own.