Just Beginning Questions

martinaa

Hello,

I'm hoping you seasoned grads can help me; I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. I graduated in 2007 from a Canadian university with a BA in English/Theatre (this is technically exactly the same thing as a BFA in Theatre/English). I had decent grades, my average in my final year was an -A, but I was never very close with my profs, definitely didn't do the networking thing. Now, I'm thinking to take a couple classes this fall to boost my average and reconnect with some of my better profs, and apply to grad schools. I'd like to get either a Masters in Theatre with a focus on Theatre Criticism and History, OR, a Masters in Creative Writing.

Is this plan naive? what am I doing wrong? do I need to take more undergrad classes, or will my -A average be sufficient when accompanied with a portfolio for arts programs?

How does one ask for recommendation letters? Do you ask the same profs for recommendations to all the schools you apply to? What's the correct etiquette regarding these matters?

I come from a tiny town in rural Canada and would be the first person in my family to get an MA, please help an uneducated bumpkin.

Oh, I should also mention I have dual citizenship and would certainly consider going to the US, but am unclear of my chances of getting funding. Yes, Funding, how does that work? Do I need to percolate for several more years before a fellowship or something is within my reach?

Thank you,

M

I'd like to get either a Masters in Theatre with a focus on Theatre Criticism and History, OR, a Masters in Creative Writing.

Okay, these are two very different things. You'll need to pick and apply to just one, I think.

Is this plan naive? what am I doing wrong? do I need to take more undergrad classes, or will my -A average be sufficient when accompanied with a portfolio for arts programs?

For theatre history, I doubt you'd need a portfolio. I don't think you need to take more undergrad classes. What you really need is a strong, focused statement of purpose.

How does one ask for recommendation letters? Do you ask the same profs for recommendations to all the schools you apply to? What's the correct etiquette regarding these matters?

You make contact with professors and, ideally, ask them in person if they feel they could write you a strong letter. You ask after explaining to them that you want to go to graduate school, why you want to go, why you feel prepared, etc. Yes, you use the same profs for all of them typically. All they have to do is change the addressee.

Taking more classes may not be necessary or even helpful. Things might be different at Canadian institutions, but I think in most institutions in the United States, your Undergrad GPA (once you have graduated) is your undergrad GPA. Other posters, feel free to correct me, but I was under the impression that going back and taking more coursework will do nothing to change it once that degree has been conferred.

If you don't mind answering, why do you want to go on and get a masters? Is there a career you are particularly interested in pursuing? I would be wary about going back into education simply because I did not have an idea of what to do with my degree once I graduated.

In general, it is a very very bad idea and potentially costly.

Also, if going back and taking more classes to get better recs is an affordable option, then that's a good idea. In addition, your SoP and your portfolio (depending upon whether you decide to attend an arts or a humanities program) are the most important things.

I agree that taking more classes is not necessarily helpful. This can definitely be costly without a lot of return for the investment.

For recommendations, I recommend examining carefully which of your two programs you prefer the most before you begin shopping around for letters. It definitely helps to have a letter from a prof that is in the field, the dean, or the general registrar (if you can get any). A letter from a prof from your field testifies to your ability in the field and one from the latter two would testify to your general scholastic abilities.

I always remember that everybody asks for help at one point or another, including those you are asking and those who will be reading your apps. I'd suggest approaching a prof you respect and being straightfoward with a bit of humility. It's always good to pick a prof you were close to, but most profs whose classes you did well in, that you liked, and you weren't an a**hole in will want to help you. As a grad student who has done a lot of student teaching, I always want to help students who do well in my classes and are excited about the fields I'm excited about.

And, if they say yes, make sure you remind them periodically. It's not hard for someone to forget accidentally your rec, especially if you attended a large university.

With most schools, a lot of award money is based on merit, not need. Even if you are a Canadian student in a US school, you can still receive strong aid if you promote yourself well to your interviewers/auditioners.

Best of luck!