Chicago CIR (funded) or Oxford Mphil (unfunded)

abraxas

With the Claredon Scholarship results for Oxford now in, I don't have any funding for the MPhil in International Relations at Oxford. I'm excited about the department's reputation and the chance to study at Oxford, but the steep price tag put me off. On the other hand, it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I might regret it forever if I passed it up. My next choice is Chicago's Commitee on International Relations, which is offering me 2/3 funding for the one year MA program. I visited the school and really like the program, and I can afford it without going into debt, but I still feel torn.

Any other Americans do grad degrees in the UK without aid? If so, was it worth it?

I would absolutely go for U Chicago!

You are debating between two great schools. Oxford is awesome, sure thing, but I don't think its reputation is that much stronger than U Chicago's - especially if you think of a further Ph.D. in the States.

Thanks for the response. I guess, like tons of people on this site and in the wider world, that there's a certain benefit to prestige and cachet, and I was pretty sure Oxford had that cachet. I've also heard, somewhat unflatteringly that they like to lure Americans Mphil students to Oxford to gouge them for funds.....

Hey Abraxas,

I considered the same options when applying to graduate school for international affairs, although I looked more at the London School of Economics. I was also there for U Chicago's Campus Day and the overall impression that I got is that it's heavily academic orientation. However, based on the career placements, both in the public and private sector, it's definitely a great school to go to for their resources, academic excellence, and possible connections to make while you're there.

-Y

With the Claredon Scholarship results for Oxford now in, I don't have any funding for the MPhil in International Relations at Oxford. I'm excited about the department's reputation and the chance to study at Oxford, but the steep price tag put me off. On the other hand, it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I might regret it forever if I passed it up. My next choice is Chicago's Commitee on International Relations, which is offering me 2/3 funding for the one year MA program. I visited the school and really like the program, and I can afford it without going into debt, but I still feel torn.

Any other Americans do grad degrees in the UK without aid? If so, was it worth it?

Hi Abraxas,

I'm in the exact same boat, trying to decide between McGill (fully funded) and Oxford (no funding). It is such a hard choice to make. All of the profs I've talked to have stated they believe Oxford would be worth attending, regardless of the debt I might incur because it is such a rare opportunity.

Also, my advisor studied at Oxford his DPhil and said the opposite -- that it is actually quite difficult to get into UK schools as international applicants. He believed the same as you for a long time -- that they might just be milking us for the international student fees. But he went, had no funding his first year, got funding in his second and third years, and came to realize that this was not the case.

Good luck deciding... smile.gif

Whoops -- just realized this is for your MA degree. If it's for your MA, I would pick U Chicago. Unless you don't want to have to move twice in the span of 1-2 years. If you think you could/would transition from Oxford's MA program into their DPhil program, then you might want to factor that in.

Whoops -- just realized this is for your MA degree. If it's for your MA, I would pick U Chicago. Unless you don't want to have to move twice in the span of 1-2 years. If you think you could/would transition from Oxford's MA program into their DPhil program, then you might want to factor that in.

I thought it was difficult to apply for a Dphil straight out of Undergrad? You need a detailed research proposal, which is not something I just have laying about, so I assume you need a Master's of some sort for the DPhil. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Edited by abraxas

If you are looking to work/do doctoral studies in Europe or outside of the U.S. then Oxford might be the better option. However, if you plan to do further work and study in the States then UChicago (a great school) is definitely your best bet. The networking and internship opportunities for US PhD programs, companies, and organizations will be much better at Chicago, more so if you are looking at government work. The practical benefits of using the Oxford degree for future development stateside are limited and definitely now worth the added expenses. Your offer from UChicago also shows that there are professors/administrators who want to work with you in their program. The personal attention/recognition would probably be much more limited at Oxford.

Thanks for the advice guys. My parents are thrilled that I got in and have no problem with funding me. It's a big deal for them since they never went to college and my grandmother grew up illiterate in a British crown colony. Needless to say, they're really excited about Oxford and are encouraging me to go.

I've talked to some of my professors who highly recommend Oxford and praised the networking connections and the fact that Mphil and IR is supposedly so selective (how selective could it be...I got in biggrin.gif) . Ironically, both of my profs are British but teach in the US and only one of them went to a British grad school--SOAS--but they still recommend the program.

Also, two years gives me more time for a thesis and for research, whereas Chicago's one year program feels really rushed and not enough time to really do anything or make connections, even if it is cheaper.

In that case, weigh the costs. If it really is affordable-- meaning your family both says they can help and really can without wrecking themselves-- then Oxford could be just fine. But also remember that it may be of less use outside academia than the Chicago degree. The nice thing about UofC's MA is its flexibility (and the fact that's far cheaper with funding because of the one-year nature). But you may very well be in a better position for a future PhD program with the 2 year MPhil. But what's your future goal?

Thanks for the advice guys. My parents are thrilled that I got in and have no problem with funding me. It's a big deal for them since they never went to college and my grandmother grew up illiterate in a British crown colony. Needless to say, they're really excited about Oxford and are encouraging me to go.

I've talked to some of my professors who highly recommend Oxford and praised the networking connections and the fact that Mphil and IR is supposedly so selective (how selective could it be...I got in biggrin.gif) . Ironically, both of my profs are British but teach in the US and only one of them went to a British grad school--SOAS--but they still recommend the program.

Also, two years gives me more time for a thesis and for research, whereas Chicago's one year program feels really rushed and not enough time to really do anything or make connections, even if it is cheaper.