Decisions! NYU, Rutgers, or UCLA MPP

Help!! April 15th is fast approaching, and I have to choose between NYU Wagner (MPA, policy focus), UCLA (MPP), and Rutgers (MPP). My top considerations are funding, reputation, course rigor, and job placement.

NYU is offering 3/4 scholarship, ranked 10th by US News, attracts top professors and students, and has a strong career services and alumni network. $26,000 more debt with NYU vs other schools.

UCLA is offering full ride plus $4,000 living stipend, 14th ranking, respected professors, and average career services office.

Rutgers is offering nearly a full ride, 32nd in ranking, nice, respected professors whose fortes align well with my interests, and a weak career services and alumni network.

Any thoughts? With Rutgers, would I struggle to find a job? Is NYU worth the debt? Thanks everyone!

Hi Erin,

I am Dr.Gunjan from India and I am in the same dilemma as you .

Yet to decide If i wanna go with NYU Wagner (tHOUgh most likely I shall), Like you my major concern is the Finance part of it ! Wagner shall cost me approx 30,000$ per annum !! phewwwwwwwwwww..

But i believe the benefits shall be enormous..Wagner has one of the best faculty, best guest faculty and probably very very reliable networking .

So I really wish to go with it !

Lets keep in touch to discuss it out more..

my email is: drgunjansrivastava5@gmail.com.

Help!! April 15th is fast approaching, and I have to choose between NYU Wagner (MPA, policy focus), UCLA (MPP), and Rutgers (MPP). My top considerations are funding, reputation, course rigor, and job placement.

NYU is offering 3/4 scholarship, ranked 10th by US News, attracts top professors and students, and has a strong career services and alumni network. $26,000 more debt with NYU vs other schools.

UCLA is offering full ride plus $4,000 living stipend, 14th ranking, respected professors, and average career services office.

Rutgers is offering nearly a full ride, 32nd in ranking, nice, respected professors whose fortes align well with my interests, and a weak career services and alumni network.

Any thoughts? With Rutgers, would I struggle to find a job? Is NYU worth the debt? Thanks everyone!

Hi Erin,

I don't have a ton of input here, as I am in the middle of also struggling between things like cost vs. reputation (though in international development arena). I did want to point out that, it seems to me, Rutgers should not still be in the running (based on your description). I would think it's either (1) NYU with less than full funding but a better career services and ranking (slightly) or (2) UCLA for a slight drop in ranking but more funding. It looks to me like Rutgers, which is not offering a full scholarship nor has the same reputation/ranking as the two others (and you said a weak career services/alumni network), is not in your best interest...

But, take with a huge grain of salt, just my knee-jerk reaction!

Good luck

Edited by cplanicka