The Harvard quandary

I would say, follow you heart. Quite honestly there are pros and cons to everything. I was making a similar decision a few years ago (not with HKS and not in MPP though), and I had the option of getting an ivy league brand name+ financial debt and no brand name+no financial debt. However at that point, I WANTED to go to the kind of intellectual environment, connections and possibilities that come with the tag of the Ivy League. So I chose the more expensive option. In retrospect, I would say that i DID get those things (the networks, the chance to interact with great minds, meeting really talented people from around the world etc).. HOWEVER, yes the financial situation IS restricting and the ONLY reason I dont HATE my decision is because I KNEW what I was walking into (mostly). Harvard is Harvard, and what it might bring you, few others can. However, Ivy Leagues are not temples of education devoid of any imperfection. There is more competition, and NOT all the people you meet are the superior thinkers you think you might meet. (There are egotistical trolls EVERYWHERE, but they probably especially thrive in an elitist environment such as Harvard or any of the other Ivy's). Also a big name degree can definitely help you get your foot in the door, but honestly speaking, what you make of your career is mostly you and some part of where you go to school. Also, if you dont want to end up in academia or such, and are possibly looking to work for NGO's in development, your success on the field wouldn't be determined by your university tag.

To make the long story short, focus not on tuition or name tags but what you want and would value in the longer run. Then look the place that would best help you meet that goal. Education is an investment. And the best way to make one is gain a better understanding of your dividends and evaluate your risks. When choosing between two options that are competitive (like Harvard and Duke) there are bound to be trade offs. Just make sure you choose the ones you really care about. As for money... debt hurts. But I have friends who are making money, living a life without debt and buying expensive things too... Doesnt really make them happier than me, to be honest. They always wonder "What it would have been like...". So make a decision that doesnt leave you with any regrets and you are bound to enjoy that more.

You've got to go with what feels right to you and your wallet.

Yes, Harvard is great. But going to a great school won't change the economy or create jobs or demand that wasn't there before.

Many of the posters on these forums (perhaps because we are so young) tend to be extremely idealistic regarding future employment opportunities and salaries after graduation. Sometimes it's disconcerting how little talk there is about the realties of student debt and the uncertain economic future we face.