Funding a doctorate degree at Columbia University

theone2333

I was excited to find out on Wednesday I was accepted into an Ed.d program at Columbia but I got my award letter and it has changed everything. I think I'm going to run out of unsub/sub loans my second or last year, does anybody know about scholarships or additional funding at TC? Do they normally give finanicial aid preference for continuing students who are needs based for doctoral programs? Any insight is appreciated!

Hi Decaf

I just found out I am also accepted onto an Ed.D at TC (wondering if we're in the same program) and I am looking into my options for scholarships, grants, loans, etc. I am in the US on an O-1 Visa so I am not eligible for federal financial aid. Wondering how I might obtain any funding sources.

I was excited to find out on Wednesday I was accepted into an Ed.d program at Columbia but I got my award letter and it has changed everything. I think I'm going to run out of unsub/sub loans my second or last year, does anybody know about scholarships or additional funding at TC? Do they normally give finanicial aid preference for continuing students who are needs based for doctoral programs? Any insight is appreciated!

Hey everyone. I was accepted into a PhD in Applied Anthropology at TC, and fully expected SOME sort of funding, considering it IS a PhD at an Ivy, even though I heard rumors that they don't offer any funding. And, at least for my program, it's true -- no funding! I called the department and they said that TC, unlike Columbia, does not have an endowment because in the 70s they decided to get rid of the endowment in order to have more autonomy. Personally, I would never consider paying for a PhD. I'm assuming if you got into such a great program you also are capable of getting a PhD or Ed. D without paying for it yourself. I opted instead for a masters program with some funding in order to work toward a funded PhD in the future.

Your program may be different, so I'm sure there's still hope for you :) . After I got a clear-cut answer, I just decided I had to move on from TC. Good luck!

Hello,

Congrats everyone! I thought about getting another Masters but its not conducive to my work schedule or beneficial for my career in Education. Putting off getting a doctorate to pursue funding may or may not be a good idea because although we are all savy its still a matter of whats available and the demand(and everyone needs money!:). Check out the normal scholarship sites (I won some during my Masters) www.fastweb.com; www.scholarship.com Whatever I can't pay out of pocket, I'm not opposed to federal and private loans. I am looking at them through my credit union because they have the best rates. (Probably a better idea than regular banks if you don't qualify for federal aid)