Washington University in St Louis

Akshay Gopan

I.! Ph.D. CS.

Any luck finding a place to stay though?... I'll be going there at the end of May to get an apartment, but seems like it's pretty complicated (I could always just go with the University partnership housing I guess)...

Big pain. Gonna be there at the end of May... will probably pay for the summer once I find an apartment, although I will not be there until late August...

Also, I think I'd prefer something in Clayton / Ladue... might end up in University City or Delmar though. I think CWE has to be more than the $800 that I'm willing to pay in order to be good enough for me...

Edited by adinutzyc

Big pain. Gonna be there at the end of May... will probably pay for the summer once I find an apartment, although I will not be there until late August...

Also, I think I'd prefer something in Clayton / Ladue... might end up in University City or Delmar though. I think CWE has to be more than the $800 that I'm willing to pay in order to be good enough for me...

Yeah, although I've seen studio apartments for around 500-600 all utilities included. We'll see once i drive down though. So you decided to go with WashU over vandy? What made you make the decision? (I commented on your post in the CS subforum)

I know you did!

Well, nothing in particular, but I was already somewhat decided before going down to visit Vandy... I just had to get the guts to follow my instinct, and I think I'll like WUSTL! :)

I am still sorry I refused all of the other great places that accepted me though, including Vandy! ...

About the apartments, I was looking at reviews online, and apart from 2 or 3 places that are in the completely wrong neighborhoods, all apartments I find have bad reviews :unsure:

Rent.com to find places and ApartmentRatings.com for ratings. Plus, if it's an apartment complex and not an individual owner, you can always google the name/google map the place... that sometimes finds reviews (plus I am still confused about where a place is located if I don't map it/ find directions to WashU). I actually think I will contact a realtor and give them my conditions and see what they find... as long as they get paid by the landlord and not by me...

Is BME at the Medical School? In that case CWE makes a lot of sense (apart from being an awesome area)

BME isn't technically at the medical school, but there are lots of collaborations between bme/med school faculty. One of the labs I want to work in is situated on the med school campus, so its an ideal place. Plus distance isnt a problem since the metrolink will take me to whitaker hall (the bme building) in a few minutes. Although, you're right, price is becoming an issue for CWE living.

I'll be going for a PhD in Art History. :)

I haven't given apartment hunting much thought yet. I'm hoping I can room with someone from my cohort, maybe pool our resources to rent a house. I don't think I'm going to get to visit any time soon and I've never been there so this will be quite an adventure!

Wow, that's an amazing idea! Although I might like to live alone for once, living with people in my program doesn't sound that bad either! I don't know if I am willing to risk it from the first year, but I might try to see if I can get others' email addresses...

I also probably won't visit the city before moving, but have been checking out a number of different housing options. I'm hoping for something less than 500 as I probably won't be home much and because of that looking for a place to share has also been something I've considered. Biggest thing for me right now is that I don't know when I'm going to head over as I'm currently with my parents and my dad might have a new job cross country as soon as next month, so I might just move at that point, otherwise I'd stay home till augustish.

On 4/12/2011 at 1:22 PM, MadameNon said:

I'll be going for a PhD in Art History. :)

I haven't given apartment hunting much thought yet. I'm hoping I can room with someone from my cohort, maybe pool our resources to rent a house. I don't think I'm going to get to visit any time soon and I've never been there so this will be quite an adventure!

I'm in for a PhD in poli sci. I think I'm going to try and grab a room off of Craigslist near WashU. I am looking for a place in

the forest park and CWE area because I think it would be nice to ride my bike to school through a park everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

hey everybody!

I am an incoming Washington University in St. Louis MFA student. If any other incoming WUSTL MFA students or current ones are out there looking for a housing-mate, message me!

So excited for the fall!