ARGH!

theatrehippie

Columbia, what is wrong with you?

I have applied to two programs at Columbia (one of them is in Teachers College), and both programs are trying to kill me, I think.

I've been accepted to the Masters in Arts Administration at Teachers College, which I am really, really excited by. I really like the program director, and I think that it's a great fit for me. Plus, the professional opportunities in New York are amazing for me, since I am planning to go into theatre management/producing. Here's the only problem: I have no idea what kind of financial aid I might get. It's not just me-- no one in the program has received anything yet, except for loan information (which frighteningly enough, even with a ridiculously large grad plus loan, doesn't cover the cost of attendance). There is a scholarship application, but neither the department nor the financial aid office will give me an idea of when I might find out the results. I am not optimistic, particularly since the scholarship application deadline is not until April 20. Yeah. I know. To make up for this, they are not requiring me to make a decision before April 30. How nice. Too bad my other schools still would like an answer by Friday!

The other program I have applied to is the MFA in Theatre Management and Producing in Columbia School of the Arts. If it's even possible, I might like this program even better than the one at Teachers College. The only thing is that they are insanely slow. They had the earliest deadline of any of my schools, and yet did not hear a word from them until I received my interview invitation almost two months later. I was supposed to receive a decision by April 1. I called on April 4, asking when I might receive a decision. I was told by the end of the week. I called again today, and was told this morning. Now I'm going crazy just checking Apply Yourself, hoping the application is updated sometime today!! Even if I do get an admissions decision today, I am not holding my breath that they let me know about funding.

Obviously, Columbia wants me to die. Or lose my mind.

Please excuse my ranting. This process has robbed me of quite a large portion of my sanity. And the prospect of figuring out how to live in New York AND pay really high tuition without funding has robbed me of whatever remains. Seriously, my boyfriend and I have started considering some pretty out-there options.

I would say to weigh your options. I see that you got accepted to 6 schools. Have any of the other schools offered financing? Don't take on more debt than you can handle. You don't want to be stressed and starving your way through grad school at Columbia.

I hope Columbia gets its act together and gives you and the other applicants a decision pronto. I hate how they can just string students along like that. Just take a few days to weigh your options.

Definitely ask the other schools for an extension if possible. They might give you another week or two. It's worth a shot. Good luck. :)

How can the grad plus loan not cover the cost of attendance? That's what it's supposed to do and then some for living expenses.

My SO goes to Teachers College for the MA in Art Education...She has a "fellowship" and a few other grants from them, but it doesn't cover even half of her tuition and she has taken out ~$50k in loans and her folks are paying for her to live in NYC... If her parents didn't have money, I don't think she would have gone there...

I would say to weigh your options. I see that you got accepted to 6 schools. Have any of the other schools offered financing? Don't take on more debt than you can handle. You don't want to be stressed and starving your way through grad school at Columbia.

I hope Columbia gets its act together and gives you and the other applicants a decision pronto. I hate how they can just string students along like that. Just take a few days to weigh your options.

Definitely ask the other schools for an extension if possible. They might give you another week or two. It's worth a shot. Good luck. :)

I appreciate your advice! I have been weighing my options. I've declined the schools I'm not really considering anymore, and asked for an extension at my third choice, which also has given me the best scholarship offer. I'm crossing my fingers that they will give me a little more time. I did find out today that I am on the waitlist for the Theatre Management and Producing MFA, so even though it isn't a definitive answer, it's good to know where I stand. I am going to hope that 1) I get a funding offer from TC before April 15 and 2) I hear from SOA before April 30 (assuming the offer at TC is good enough for me to turn down my other offer). If I can get both of those straightened out, I should be able to make an informed decision between my top schools.

Hello there! I'm in a similar Columbia dilemma myself so I just thought I'd chime in. I also applied to two programs, one at TC as well. I've been accepted to TC, but I'm still waiting on a response from the Grad School of Arts & Sciences. I've received some scholarship $ from TC, but it won't make a significant dent in my COA. I went to the financial aid office at TC and was told about the daunting $68, 000. Buttttttt...take into consideration that that number is extrapolated and inflated. It's $24,000 just to dorm!!! Apartments are cheaper (yes, even in NYC-I live here and don't have to eat roasted rats to make ends meet!) Books and other miscellaneous fees can often be paid with a part time gig. Your COA can be brought down dramatically, and it's only an estimate. If I go to TC, I don't plan on taking out more than 13-15k annually...if that much. Where there's a will, there's some kind of way! :rolleyes: