Public/Intl Affairs/Relations/Policy Fall 2009

Dreams

Oh schools, please hurry up!

I sort of applied to be a fellow with a fancy government consulting firm thinking that they would take a long to review the applications and I'd know something from schools by then, but NO. So now I have an fellowship interview from 8am to 2pm (assuming I even find a way to make it out to McLean, VA without a car) and I still have no word on schools... grumble!

Zip Car for the day!!!!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that I could.. but I actually don't even have a license :oops:

Hmm, have you checked out commuter buses or the VRE? I don't even know if the VRE goes to McLean...

Hope you can find something though!!!!

I participated in a chat today with administrators from the CMU MSPPM program. They said the number of applications this year is similar to the average of the past three.

For the program I am interested in, they have received 60 applications for 17 spots. There are still three more days before the deadline, so they expect to receive more.

Looks like they are willing to foot the bill for transport (including a plane ticket if I lived far away!). Man these consulting firms are so ritzy! Still though I'm hoping a PhD program gets back to me before then so that I'm not wasting either of our time and money if things go that way. I also have this horrible fear of being offered an excellent job and then not being able to justify living in poverty as a PhD student for the next 5 years. :(

The wait is killing me. And I've become superstitious like you. My coworkers keep asking when I'm leaving or saying, "When you're gone in August...," and I just have to cover my ears and tell them not to jinx me.

Same here! I hate it. I try and tell my friends that its not yet sure that I'll be gone until I get an acceptance.

So anyone else excited/nervous/about to have a heart attack because historically Georgetown's first acceptances have been sent out on Thursday of the first week in February? I can't believe that we might finally hear something soon. Yay! Here's to hoping that history repeats itself.

By the way, has anyone received any another status of application email from KSG? I received an email a few weeks ago saying I would receive another email informing me if any items were missing from my application. Has anyone here received that second email, confirming that your application is complete or informing you which items you are missing?

So anyone else excited/nervous/about to have a heart attack because historically Georgetown's first acceptances have been sent out on Thursday of the first week in February? I can't believe that we might finally hear something soon. Yay! Here's to hoping that history repeats itself.

By the way, has anyone received any another status of application email from KSG? I received an email a few weeks ago saying I would receive another email informing me if any items were missing from my application. Has anyone here received that second email, confirming that your application is complete or informing you which items you are missing?

I received an e-mail this morning from the KSG that stated this:

"We have processed your application, and your file is now complete. Please note that if admitted to Harvard Kennedy School, you will be required to submit official transcript(s). An official transcript is one that is sent directly to HKS Admissions from the issuing institution."

question--a few posts have mentioned rolling admissions. when i was applying (thank goodness--over with!) every admissions office i checked with said there would be no difference between applications submitted in october and apps submitted in january. has anyone heard differently?

i've been lurking on this for a while and finally had to join--i have to admit your collective stats have been very intimidating.

I'm with Pepper, the stats of people that I see on this forum make me feel a little doubtful about my chances.

I'm really concerned that my lack of work experience will hurt my applications. I did an internship in the summer between my junior and senior years at a pretty well-known think-tank in Washington, but aside from that I have no experience at all.

I'm currently a senior at a Top 50 liberal arts college in the deep south. I'm an economics major with a 3.8 GPA. My GRE scores are 780Q/610V/4.5 AW.

I'm applying to seven schools: GSPP, Ford, CMU, University of Texas, Maryland, UGA, and George Mason. Do you guys think I'll have a shot at any of these schools?

mgrn--

not sure if this helps, but a friend of mine who worked just one year in a private law firm as a paralegal, with similar gre stats and a lower gpa than yours, was accepted to george mason. with a full ride to boot. i think even a small time spent in public sector will work to your advantage. so even if that is only one example, hopefully that alleviates some concern...that you are concerned with a 780 q scares me! :)

i think we're all a little nervous about what the implosion of the economy means for grad school apps, so maybe the ball game has changed this year and we don't even know it.

Here is a little ditty from the GWU's campus newspaper. Warning: If you don't want frazzled nerves, don't read it.)

"Individually, four of the seven schools that offer master's degree programs have seen an increase in applications. The School of Business and the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy have increased 21 and 20 percent respectively, while the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Graduate School of Education and Human Development both reported increases of over 8 percent." (1/29/09) :(

http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/st ... 3379.shtml

pepper84:

I get the impression that of the schools discussed on this forum, only a few schools have rolling admissions. I submitted my applicants, and many grad school/program coordinators emphasized that my early submission would make no difference.

mgrn68:

Your stats are good. Your lack of work experience might hurt your chances at some of these schools. But, none of us really can really say what your chances are at any of these schools. But, I think that you have a realistic chance at some of these programs.

But, none of us really can really say what your chances are at any of these schools. But, I think that you have a realistic chance at some of these programs.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this, but I think the uncertainty about policy school is the beauty of this whole process. Unlike law school, it isn't just merely what your numbers are. W.E. can make up for a low GPA or GRE scores. Yes, its nerve racking because there are not such clear delineations of acceptances for policy schools. However, I like knowing that I at least stand a chance at a wide variety of schools.

In re-reading this, yes, I am crazy. I blame it on the waiting.

Here is a little ditty from the GWU's campus newspaper. Warning: If you don't want frazzled nerves, don't read it.)

"Individually, four of the seven schools that offer master's degree programs have seen an increase in applications. The School of Business and the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy have increased 21 and 20 percent respectively, while the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Graduate School of Education and Human Development both reported increases of over 8 percent." (1/29/09) :(

http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/st ... 3379.shtml

Okay, that's pretty scary. I need my first acceptance so I can at least rest a little easier

Out of curiosity, did anyone else apply to Yale's IR program? I know that it is much less structured / professionally geared than most other IR programs, but it still seemed like one could still receive an excellent background in professionally (as opposed to academically) oriented IR if you play your cards correctly.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this, but I think the uncertainty about policy school is the beauty of this whole process. Unlike law school, it isn't just merely what your numbers are. W.E. can make up for a low GPA or GRE scores. Yes, its nerve racking because there are not such clear delineations of acceptances for policy schools. However, I like knowing that I at least stand a chance at a wide variety of schools.

In re-reading this, yes, I am crazy. I blame it on the waiting.

But don't you think that another peculiarity of IR/policy programs is that they announce decisions pretty much later than other grad degree programs?! So I guess applicants to MPA/IR programs must exercise patience... The silence is killing me...Sometimes I just want to shout here...However, on second thought, my officemates might think I'm going crazy :lol: