POI asking why I declined

tragicomix

I declined an offer from a school yesterday. I was quite interested in their program, but I also got an offer from a department that seemed be a better fit. As a nice bonus, this department was ranked higher and also made me a better funding offer. Now, my POI at the school I declined is asking me why.

Just saying they were a better fit seems a bit vague. I'd rather not point to the higher ranking or better funding offer either. What's a vague way of saying that "it's me not you!"?

Just tell the truth, perhaps not about the ranking, but certainly the funding. There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing the better funded offer among otherwise comparable schools. The fit reason is also perfectly acceptable. Unless this POI has psychological problems I don't see why he should be so thin-skinned as to be insulted by whatever reason you give.

I agree with the above - be honest, just perhaps leaving out the ranking bit. Most POIs accept the fact that their potentials are applying to more than one place. Just mention the other place was a better research fit and had a better funding offer.

If you think citing a 'better fit' is vague, you could add a bit of detail - what makes it better? The research, the other grad students, the program structure? When professors ask why, they are looking to find out what they/their program/their school is lacking in comparison to the profs/programs/schools that get their top applicants. If you were swayed by something like a better funded offer, the prof can go back to his/her department and report that their funding offers aren't competitive. If there is something else, maybe it is useful to him/her, maybe not. Don't be afraid of being rude, just give them the truth so they can use the information for their future recruiting efforts.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Two things that did sway my decision were: (1) a longer (conditional) guarantee of support and (2) the presence of a few alumni (who're doing really well and working in the same area as me) from my current university at the school that I chose to go to. I told the POI these two things in my reply. Hopefully, he'll take it in the right spirit.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Two things that did sway my decision were: (1) a longer (conditional) guarantee of support and (2) the presence of a few alumni (who're doing really well and working in the same area as me) from my current university at the school that I chose to go to. I told the POI these two things in my reply. Hopefully, he'll take it in the right spirit.

Just tell them that! It should be good

• 1 year later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use