University of Florida Vs. Texas A&M

abdolreza

Hi All

I have a condition here and I am quite stuck

So any ( i really mean it) comment is totally appreciated.

I am currently faced to two offers:

1- Texas a&m

Pros:

Funding is quite high (2650 per month)

Cheap City

Higher in the Ranking

Cons:

Hot! City

I am admitted as a TA and I have to find a RA position within one year (Should I really consider it as a Con? I mean people around me are telling me that it is Pro but i dont believe them!)

2- University of Florida

Pros:

Good Porf. + Good Research Topic

I might be accompanied by one of my friends

Cons:

I still did not receive official admittance letter

Money should not be as much as Texas

and I have to answer Texas a&m before April 15th!

So guys, please help me choose a wise decision

I will really appreciate it

If you want to take serious the offer from the U of Florida they absolutely need to provide you with an "official admittance" letter as well as an official funding letter. Do not make the mistake of accepting offers based on unofficial emails or over the phone! Thus contact U of Florida immediately via phone or email and tell them you will not consider their offer until you have these documents.

The only way to know how TA and RA at A&M works is to ask the department on the availablity of these positions. Some programs directly place their graduate students in their department courses while others, if limited, ask the graduate student to find these on their own. Depending upon the school this can be a fairly easy process or a difficult one--contact current graduate students in the department to see how this has worked out for them.

At this point, I believe, the Texas A&M is the most solid offer in your hands.

I go to UF as an undergrad right now, and I also applied to and was admitted to a grad program at UF. They don't send out official acceptances in a timely fashion, but don't let that deter you. I would just call the admissions office and ask. I ended up deciding to go elsewhere for grad school though.

Hi All

I have a condition here and I am quite stuck

So any ( i really mean it) comment is totally appreciated.

I am currently faced to two offers:

1- Texas a&m

Pros:

Funding is quite high (2650 per month)

Cheap City

Higher in the Ranking

Cons:

Hot! City

I am admitted as a TA and I have to find a RA position within one year (Should I really consider it as a Con? I mean people around me are telling me that it is Pro but i dont believe them!)

2- University of Florida

Pros:

Good Porf. + Good Research Topic

I might be accompanied by one of my friends

Cons:

I still did not receive official admittance letter

Money should not be as much as Texas

and I have to answer Texas a&m before April 15th!

So guys, please help me choose a wise decision

I will really appreciate it

• 4 years later...

Wait till the deadline and take Texas or email florida so they can move their ass. I did that with Texas and they told me they would know a month from now which was around April. I had a fully funded offer from another school so I accepted and declined Texas. They seem they had other applicants they were interested in so I went with the other school. 

• 2 weeks later...

Texas A&M hands down...i was accepted into texas A&M and UFlorida for chemical engineering. I was able to get RA funding my second year. If you do good work and have a good relationship with your research advisor you should be able to get one....and even if you dont, if you plan ahead you should be able to get a TA ship. In terms of funding  you wont have problems at A&M...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use