Writing Samples

Louiselab

Hello all-

I'm evaluating my writing sample options now for fall '09... I have two options:

1. a paper in the history field and general time period I want to study but not directly in my field. There were more sources so it's much better researched, an overall better paper that I've already gotten a lot of compliments on and would re-work anyway for publication.

-or-

2. a paper in the field I want (suburban history) but a dearth of primary sources, I planned on doing more research over the summer, but had a really hard time finding sources and it's not coming out the way I anticipated with classes starting in a week and I don't think I have the adequate time to devote to it.

I'm not really sure which one to choose because it says I should pick one that's ideally in my field... but I'm not sure if they mean "20th century us history" just a "history" paper or "this is totally the first half of my dissertation..."

Option #1 all the way. I was successful last year doing just that. Same time period for me but other than that, totally different. I think the MOST important thing you want to demonstrate with your paper is critical thinking/good writing. Good luck!

I really believe that the quality of the paper is the most important thing, so go with number 1. At the time that many of my applications were due, a 15-page US history paper I had written was much more vetted than some early drafts of my senior thesis in my field (medieval Europe), so I decided to go with the US paper. My decision turned out to be a good one as I was admitted into my top program with full funding. I think what is important is that your paper clearly demonstrates the quality of writing and your ability to do historical research. Being in your exact field is of course a plus, but overall quality is the most important factor.

I really believe that the quality of the paper is the most important thing, so go with number 1. At the time that many of my applications were due, a 15-page US history paper I had written was much more vetted than some early drafts of my senior thesis in my field (medieval Europe), so I decided to go with the US paper. My decision turned out to be a good one as I was admitted into my top program with full funding. I think what is important is that your paper clearly demonstrates the quality of writing and your ability to do historical research. Being in your exact field is of course a plus, but overall quality is the most important factor.

Did you mention the unfinished thesis in the statement part or just totally omitted it?

• 5 weeks later...

I apologize for not responding until now; I've been busy moving across the country and starting my program.

I did state in my personal statements that I was working on a senior honors thesis and elaborated a little on what the topic was; however, I did not explain why it wasn't my writing sample and hoped that potential advisors would arrive at the conclusion that given the time I was applying (mostly late November through December) I most likely didn't have anything substantial to show them yet. One potential advisor ended up e-mailing me and asking me for the first chapter of my thesis regardless of whether or not it had been edited.

Anyways, it worked out fine for me. I hope you have the same luck!