Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Well, my son still has to visit with his advisor but he is definitely leaning towards accepting the DAAD which will open up a Fulbright for someone. My guess is there will be others as well.........

Awesome attitude and persistence! I am in the second year of my Ph.D. and have also been through a number of rejections.

Fulbright rejections- Austria, 2004 (Alternate)

Sweden, 2008 (Rejected without being 'recommended')

Brazil, 2013 (Recommended, waiting on decision)

The thing I keep on coming back to is that that it only takes that 'one' acceptance. Often those who are seemingly 'successful,' are the ones who just keep on trying, year after year, application season after application season. So, for all of those of you were 'rejected,' or 'wait-listed,' I hope to see you on these forums next year, should your life situation allow for another application. In no way am I saying that it does not suck to get rejected and that you can (or should) reapply to infinitum, but I am saying that a couple of tries are often very worth your while.

I have a former professor who won a MacArthur who used to tell us "If all it takes is the price of a stamp, you'd be crazy not to apply. Imagine winning ten or fifteen thousand dollars all for the price of a stamp." This is what I tell my students today -- though I add that with e-mail you don't even have to pay for the stamp. (You can't win if you don't play -- like the lottery.)

I'm glad to read all these responses re: stipends!

To be clear, this isn't about "worrying" over the money exactly. The point is that it is totally normal to already know the amount of a fellowship/scholarship/grant at the time of application. Simple. Obviously, not knowing the stipend amounts didn't stop me from applying :) , and as I stated before, I understand why the Commission prefers not to put that info out there.

However, that doesn't mean that we as a group can't fill in those blanks for each other. So big thanks to all who have already responded with the stipend info that they know of! I've put all those responses together below, and will try to keep track of them moving forward so that they can be all in one place for future applicants' reference.

Another friend of mine who was a Fulbrighter to Kenya said she got about $2000/month (this was about 2 years ago).

Stipend amounts vary HUGELY from country to country, even within regions. I know of people in certain countries who are struggling to afford basic living costs--and on the other hand, Fulbrighters who are able to save thousands of dollars due to extremely generous stipends.

I've heard the same thing from various friends who were Fulbrighters. Some had to take out loans just to live, even ascetically, which I think is a shame.

http://catalog.cies.org/

This is the catalog of awards for Fulbright SCHOLARS (e.g. people like 1CrazyLady who are professors - specifically professors and professionals who are going abroad to lecture at a another university or do research, NOT full research grant grantees or ETAs). Since we are not, you know, doing stuff like lecturing/lawyering/doing business that we could be doing at our own universities/law firms/businesses for several thousands more $$$, I would guess the stipends for full/ETA grants are probably between about 1/3 and 1/2 of the amounts listed for the scholars. I believe Fulbright bases all its grants on the actual cost of living in the country (probably the country as a whole, not the most expensive city in it) and does not award a base amount to scholars across the board.

p.s. I was debating whether or not to post this because it might freak some people out or give them too high of an expectation. PLEASE don't take this as the gospel truth!

Also Korean ETAs are paid 1,300,000 won p/month according to the korean fulbright website.

Just found the following information for full grants to Italy:

The grant amounts to € 13.800. This sum includes a maintenance allowance

of € 9.900, a settling-in allowance of € 1.300, a housing allowance of € 1.500

and a travel allowance of € 1.100. The grant is offered for one academic year

only and cannot be renewed for subsequent years

Here is the link: http://www.fulbright...nts_2012-13.pdf

Found this blog post from an ETA in Taiwan a couple of years ago. Not how true it holds for the rest of Southeast Asia, but according to him, most ETAs walk away with reasonable savings at the end of their year.

Edited by Lia19

The stipend info for other Bulgaria ETAs can be found here: http://www.fulbright.bg/en/p-English-Teaching-Assistants-40/

It looks like it works out to about $14000 over the 10-month time frame? Rick Steves did a Bulgaria episode back in 2000, and at that time one of the interviewers said 1k a month was sufficient for a family of four. I'm sure the cost of living has increased over the course of the last decade, but from Fulbrighter blogs it sounds like it is more than enough to keep their belly's full and their apartments warm!

Still hoping our notifications come this week!

The stipend info for other Bulgaria ETAs can be found here: http://www.fulbright...-Assistants-40/

It looks like it works out to about $14000 over the 10-month time frame? Rick Steves did a Bulgaria episode back in 2000, and at that time one of the interviewers said 1k a month was sufficient for a family of four. I'm sure the cost of living has increased over the course of the last decade, but from Fulbrighter blogs it sounds like it is more than enough to keep their belly's full and their apartments warm!

Still hoping our notifications come this week!

I was looking at the past spreadsheets and it looks like at least one person who was accepted for the Bulgaria ETA was notified this time last year--so you could know in the next few days! Exciting!

I'm trying to give my email refresh button a rest...thinking that ETA announcements for most people (or at least Armenia) won't get sent for at least another week or 3. Sigh!

Has anyone heard anything from Fulbright France?

Salut cmaddox7, I'm a France ETA finalist, and needlest to say, j'ai hâte de savoir! Judging by last year's notification dates, I'm guessing we will hear within the next ten days or so.

I was very much torn between applying for a full grant or an ETA... I'm an MA student in French lit, and had considered applying to do research or work towards a doctorate, but in the end I decided I really wanted to teach. What is your field and where would you be studying?

Bon courage!

Wanted to reach out & get your opinions...

It seems that some UK people have received final notification in reference to either being selected as an alternate or a recepient to a full grant. There hasn't been any rejections posted yet. I'm anxious, and honestly a bit worried because I haven't heard anything!! The uber paranoid / analytical / cra cra email / forum checking part of me wonders if Fulbright first sends out the acceptances via email, and then the rejections...

Any thoughts?

I mean, I know it's a bit silly to even think about it all because I have no control over the outcome anyway. I am sort of just bracing myself...although not getting the FB this year could be a wonderful opening to an interesting year ahead!

Thanks for your input.

Salut cmaddox7, I'm a France ETA finalist, and needlest to say, j'ai hâte de savoir! Judging by last year's notification dates, I'm guessing we will hear within the next ten days or so.

I was very much torn between applying for a full grant or an ETA... I'm an MA student in French lit, and had considered applying to do research or work towards a doctorate, but in the end I decided I really wanted to teach. What is your field and where would you be studying?

Bon courage!

Salut! Thank you for your response! I applied for a full grant to Martinique. I am working on my doctorate in Cultural Anthropology, and I'm VERY anxious to begin making plans for fieldwork. If teaching is your true passion, then it sounds like you made the right choice :) Fingers crossed for a notification within the next week or so, and bonne chance!

Wanted to reach out & get your opinions...

It seems that some UK people have received final notification in reference to either being selected as an alternate or a recepient to a full grant. There hasn't been any rejections posted yet. I'm anxious, and honestly a bit worried because I haven't heard anything!! The uber paranoid / analytical / cra cra email / forum checking part of me wonders if Fulbright first sends out the acceptances via email, and then the rejections...

Any thoughts?

I mean, I know it's a bit silly to even think about it all because I have no control over the outcome anyway. I am sort of just bracing myself...although not getting the FB this year could be a wonderful opening to an interesting year ahead!

Thanks for your input.

The wait after which others have already been notified -- it's the absolute hardest. Unfortunately for those who still await UK responses, it seems the UK principals and alternates have been been notified via e-mail from RH at IIE. A look at last year's Fulbright forum shows that rejections followed principal and alternate decisions. That said, there isn't much to go off of on there...so who knows. In an ideal world, more than just a handful of the 120 recommended candidates would post on this forum :P

Last year's grant winners and alternates were all interviewed, too, though merely being invited to a telephone interview did not ensure receipt of either a principal or an alternate spot. It's been mentioned throughout the forums before, but historically, a very high and significant portion of both principals and alternates are invited to phone interviews (and are further short-listed into a "finalist-finalist" group for final review).

That being said, anything can happen! And to all of the UK alternates out there: keep your chin up, and good luck over the next few weeks! The UK Fulbright pool is extremely talented, and many institutions' Rhodes/Marshall advisors have their university candidates also apply to the UK Fulbright. That said, you just never know what the principals have since gotten themselves into...and a spot may open up for you at any moment.

The stipend info for other Bulgaria ETAs can be found here: http://www.fulbright...-Assistants-40/

Thanks Icicle, I'll add this info to the list!

those are pretty numbers.

Hey guys! I've been stalking for a while but heard good news from Germany yesterday so I wanted to update the spreadsheet!

Full grant, no interview, notified Mar 13 via email, undergraduate, going to be working in a chemistry lab at the Universität Hamburg.

I also got the DAAD but barring drastic stipend differences I'll probably be going with the Fulbright. Has anyone else written a proposal for a hard science project? I'd be interested to see what the proportion is / what people think it's going to be like working in an international laboratory full-time. Also is anyone else waiting to hear about the six-week language course?

Another lurker with info for the spreadsheet:

Applied for full grant for UK Fulbright (Durham), phone interview in early Feb., notified March 13 that I'm an alternate.

(Default plan: starting a PhD program this fall in the US. I got into one of my top choices with great funding, so the alternate status isn't heartbreaking.)

both are awarded in euros and both are 750/mo for germany. the daad will offer a rent stipend up to a total of 1000 euro if you can provide lease information and that your rent costs more than 30% of your monthly amount.

thank you! very helpful.

I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days but just joined. I received an e-mail yesterday notifying that I am a Germany alternate. So... still waiting :unsure: . I wonder how many alternates they pick.

I am jealous (in a good way) of German Fulbright applicants that can also apply for DAAD. I was not able to apply because I completed my BA over 6 years ago :(

is that a requirement?? i finished mine in 2006, so 6 years ago now. or is that only for certain grants? the one i applied for only said i had to be enrolled in a phd program and abd at the time of proposed grant start, nothing about the ba.

Edited by smurfgurl22

is that a requirement?? i finished mine in 2006, so 6 years ago now. or is that only for certain grants? the one i applied for only said i had to be enrolled in a phd program and abd at the time of proposed grant start, nothing about the ba.

Unlike Fulbright, I think DAAD requires you to be enrolled at the time of your application (undergrad, grad, phd, or be faculty/researcher-- depending on your desired program). So being 6 years out of undergrad precludes the person from being able to apply unless, like you, they are now in a graduate or PhD program.

Edited by Biz

Hi Gardens, I'm also a full-grant applicant to the UK and I haven't heard anything one way or the other and I wasn't interviewed after being recommended. It seems the only thing we can do now is wait...

Hello Gardens and magiaepasta,

I'm also a uk grant applicant waiting to hear, and I also wasn't interviewed.

Coming out of the lurker shadows to say, I'm also a UK grant applicant waiting to hear back, and I wasn't interviewed. I finally broke down and emailed Rachel H. this morning. I don't imagine anything solid will come of it, but it makes me feel better. More in control, or something. Ha!

It seems that those who have heard back applied to fee waiver schools. Gardens, Magiaepasta, Travellite, and AKestigian: did you apply for a grant to a fee waiver school or for one of the 9 'open' awards?

I'm just going to throw this out there, but I think the spreadsheet is incredible...

"Past Notification Dates" go as far back as 07-08... Imagine, a thread like this was started 5 years ago and all that was said in that thread is being used in 2012 to help the neurotic, anxious recommended Fulbrighters come up with some kind of timeline...

:)

In other news, according to the spreadsheet Portugal doesn't seem to be too popular in these forums and earliest notification date was last year, April 12th.

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL 12TH!!

AHH!!!!

In other news, according to the spreadsheet Portugal doesn't seem to be too popular in these forums and earliest notification date was last year, April 12th.

It's not that Portugal isn't "popular", it's that there are only 5 grants to Portugal compared to 230 total to Germany or however many to the UK. I'm applying to Latvia (4 grants, hopefully!) and haven't seen another applicant on here for there either (but there is another Baltic applicant).

We're just applying to small countries with few grants (but also smaller applicant pools).

Edited by Biz

"Past Notification Dates" go as far back as 07-08... Imagine, a thread like this was started 5 years ago and all that was said in that thread is being used in 2012 to help the neurotic, anxious recommended Fulbrighters come up with some kind of timeline...

Wow, I just now noticed that there is a whole tab compiling the past notification dates. How were those dates gathered? I would assume they were taken from the inidividual spreadsheets from years past, but the weird thing is that on the "Past Notification Dates" tab, in 2011-2012 there is a notification date listed for Hungary (March 11), but on the main 2011-2012 spreadsheet Hungary isn't even on the list?? I'm confused.

Wow, I just now noticed that there is a whole tab compiling the past notification dates. How were those dates gathered? I would assume they were taken from the inidividual spreadsheets from years past, but the weird thing is that on the "Past Notification Dates" tab, in 2011-2012 there is a notification date listed for Hungary (March 11), but on the main 2011-2012 spreadsheet Hungary isn't even on the list?? I'm confused.

That spreadsheet was compiled by other spreadsheets people have gotten from their own school, fpa etc. They are not connected to who has posted in the forum.