Cold Feet

Manette

I just mailed my official acceptance letter to a PhD program, and rejected the other schools' offers of admission. Aannnddd suddenly consumed with crippling doubt/regret/fear.

This is what I wanted. I accepted the best offer I got, with a great funding package. I was lucky to even have a choice between three offers. Yet I still can't shake this feeling that I may have picked the wrong school, or I should have waited to reapply to better schools next year.

Is anyone else feeling the same commitment phobia?!

yes! after a point you just have to listen to your heart over your head, and pick the one that 'feels' right... In my case, I frequently wonder if it was a huge mistake to turn down a famous prestigious school for a less-famous prestigious place (with better course).. I guess you have to trust your initial instincts with these things..

I just mailed my official acceptance letter to a PhD program, and rejected the other schools' offers of admission. Aannnddd suddenly consumed with crippling doubt/regret/fear.

This is what I wanted. I accepted the best offer I got, with a great funding package. I was lucky to even have a choice between three offers. Yet I still can't shake this feeling that I may have picked the wrong school, or I should have waited to reapply to better schools next year.

You really took the words out of my mouth! I just sent my acceptance this morning to a school that I never would have believed I'd get into and yet I'm still feeling like I may have made the wrong choice. For me it means a move away from a major city, where my friends and all of my contacts in the museum world are, to a place that feels like the middle of nowhere. Even though I know it's what's best for me, this was such a difficult choice.

I'm hoping that in a few days or even a few weeks I'll adjust to the idea. Congratulations on getting into a few programs and choosing a great offer with funding!

Completely understand how you feel. I think my phobia/nerves/cold feet/regret/fear/etc will disappear only after attending my first lecture in the program. Then I'll remember why I'm doing this...

BTW, I'm attending Rutgers as well. Hopefully will see you there in the fall.

lp

I have no "cold feet" about my choice of program--I'm just worried they will get cold feet about ME! It's just now hitting me in a major way that I'm going straight from my undergrad into a top PhD program, where I will be surrounded by ridiculously accomplished and experienced classmates. I'm really worried that I'm out of my league and that I'll be playing catch-up from the start. Does anyone else feel like this? Also, any other soon-to-be-grads out there going straight to a PhD program next year?

I have no "cold feet" about my choice of program--I'm just worried they will get cold feet about ME! It's just now hitting me in a major way that I'm going straight from my undergrad into a top PhD program, where I will be surrounded by ridiculously accomplished and experienced classmates. I'm really worried that I'm out of my league and that I'll be playing catch-up from the start. Does anyone else feel like this? Also, any other soon-to-be-grads out there going straight to a PhD program next year?

Exact same situation. I'm worried that I'm going to feel like an absolute baby next to everyone with "life experience" and M.A.'s. It's pretty intimidating.