Awkward situation - MAcc programs with a psych major?

chouchou

Hello all, I'm brand new here.

I'll cut to the chase: I graduated from the U. of Florida this past May with a B.S. in psychology, but I'm applying to graduate programs in accounting...without having taken a single accounting or business class, even in high school. Luckily, I've found some programs (University of Wisconsin, Florida State, University of Cincinnati, University of Iowa, etc.) which can accommodate non-business/accounting majors.

My GMAT is 740 (97th percentile) and my GRE is 1490 (690 Verbal 800 Quant), but I don't yet know my Analytical Writing scores. My GPA isn't that hot at 3.04. Fortunately, though, my upper-division GPA is higher and I'd improved it toward the end.

My main problem is how on earth I will write my personal statements for these programs when there's not a single series of events in my which led me to choosing accounting, and I am at a loss as to how to explain the sudden switch without raising eyebrows. The real reason is that my career goal is to be an FBI agent specializing in investigating white-collar crime; there's no personal narrative which can explain that choice, either, other than the fact that I've always been interested in crime investigation. I hadn't taken any criminology/law classes either. The most common thread among all the advice I'd read online is that there shouldn't be any personal narratives or anecdotes unless it ties in to the choice of the field of study or research. I've done research at a lab while I was still a chemistry major, but that doesn't tie in well at all to accounting.

Add to that the fact that while I'm good at writing syntax-, organization-, and grammar-wise, I fail miserably when it comes to making my writing interesting.

In what could probably be my Achilles heel, my recommendations will probably be middling and lukewarm because I was bad about communicating with most of my instructors. That isn't a sure bet, since I haven't sent them my materials just yet.

Advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Unless, that is, if it's "you're screwed" and nothing else :wink: . Thanks!

Don't be hesitant about using strong-arm tactics in your essay or in any communication you have with these schools. Include something like, "If you discount applicants based on their undergraduate majors, do you also discount them based on race?" Put THEM, not YOURSELF, on the DEFENSIVE.

Don't be hesitant about using strong-arm tactics in your essay or in any communication you have with these schools. Include something like, "If you discount applicants based on their undergraduate majors, do you also discount them based on race?" Put THEM, not YOURSELF, on the DEFENSIVE.

Two things of note here.

1) Chouchou, I recommend that you NOT follow this advice. It is a terrible idea to antagonize the admissions committee and place them on the defensive. It will make them question your maturity, which might sway them into making an unfavorable recommendation on your application. Definitely not ideal. You should focus on the positive in your application: why you're passionate about accounting, how an accounting degree will help you with your career plans and how your background has prepared you for this work.

2) Ferrero, stop making such outlandish statements. This forum is about offering advice (well meaning/intentioned generally) and support. You are not doing either in your posts.