Biochem

Biochem

Hi everybody,,

I am an Internationale student studying at San francisco state univ applying for Biochem Grad school programs in 2011 fall for 2012 fall... I was wondering if i could actually get some information about the schools around USA for PHD in Biochemistry

I have a low gpa which is 3.3. From San Francisco state univ. however, by 2011 fall i am going to have a year and a half research experience from UC Berkeley and a very strong letter of recommendation from a Famous Professor. I might even publish by the time i apply, but never know with the research, i still need some good data.

My second letter of recc is going to be from a professor that i volunteer for ( she is a chair for ACS American Chemical Society) and i have volunteered for many ACS events. I also took her Organic Chem II lab and i got a B+.(she told me herself that she is going to write me a letter of rec for grad schools)

My third letter of recc is going to be from my Biochem Professor who i got an A from his Biochem class. Since i am doing research in Berkeley he told me to take a class and make it also count at my transcript.

I have not taken any gre yet, i am taking it in the June, which i believe i will do good on quantitative part, but i am not sure about verbal.

i am at very good standing with my research and i can really explain it on my SOP...

my grades are getting higher each semester, but i dont think it is actually going to be much higher than 3.3 (3.31-3.32-3.33-3.34-3.35)

what i have heard from others that gpa and gre its a cut off point.. the letter of rec, research and sop is what really matters...

i will be thankful for each and every single advice.

Hi everybody,,

I am an Internationale student studying at San francisco state univ applying for Biochem Grad school programs in 2011 fall for 2012 fall... I was wondering if i could actually get some information about the schools around USA for PHD in Biochemistry

I have a low gpa which is 3.3. From San Francisco state univ. however, by 2011 fall i am going to have a year and a half research experience from UC Berkeley and a very strong letter of recommendation from a Famous Professor. I might even publish by the time i apply, but never know with the research, i still need some good data.

My second letter of recc is going to be from a professor that i volunteer for ( she is a chair for ACS American Chemical Society) and i have volunteered for many ACS events. I also took her Organic Chem II lab and i got a B+.(she told me herself that she is going to write me a letter of rec for grad schools)

My third letter of recc is going to be from my Biochem Professor who i got an A from his Biochem class. Since i am doing research in Berkeley he told me to take a class and make it also count at my transcript.

I have not taken any gre yet, i am taking it in the June, which i believe i will do good on quantitative part, but i am not sure about verbal.

i am at very good standing with my research and i can really explain it on my SOP...

my grades are getting higher each semester, but i dont think it is actually going to be much higher than 3.3 (3.31-3.32-3.33-3.34-3.35)

what i have heard from others that gpa and gre its a cut off point.. the letter of rec, research and sop is what really matters...

Apply to PhD and MS programs. If you get accepted to the PhD, then go to the PhD. If you get rejected from the PhD, but get accepted to the MS, then go to the MS, get a high GPA, use the MS as a leverage to get into the PhD Program. smile.gif

"what i have heard from others that gpa and gre its a cut off point.. the letter of rec, research and sop is what really matters..."

This is most definitely true. For example, USC's Chemistry Department has an absolute cutoff at 3.0 and 1000 GRE. Keep in mind, though, that most schools are looking for a 3.5 and above. According to UCSF's Chemistry/Chemical Biology website, a foreign applicants must exhibit exemplary/outstanding scholastic achievement, as well as research experience in a laboratory with a proven published record. To be frank, a 3.3 will hurt you and may keep you out of the running from the most competitive programs. Cornell's Chemistry Department mentions that most successful foreign applicants have at least a 1400 combined GRE and 850 (88-90 percentile) in the chemistry subject GRE. I have a friend whose father is a professor in the Chemistry Department at Columbia, and he mentioned that US programs preferentially admit domestic applicants, and fill the rest with international applicants. I don't think you can complain about that, since many training grants rely on federal funding.

"I am an Internationale student studying at San francisco state univ applying for Biochem Grad school programs in 2011 fall for 2012 fall... I was wondering if i could actually get some information about the schools around USA for PHD in Biochemistry"

Are you interested in biochemistry mostly from a biologists' perspective, or that of a chemist? This is important, as a Biochemistry PhD embedded in a Biochemistry/Molecular Biology/Biophysics Program will often not require a subject GRE, but a Chemistry Department most definitely will (with the notable exception being MIT). The former will most often require interviews, while the latter will not.

I myself was an international applicant with a 3.0 GPA with a 2.99 Chemistry GPA. Chemistry was my least favorite subject in high school, and I only became one during my third year when I realized that biology cannot be adequately understood without a firm understanding of chemistry. It was rocky, but I don't regret it, especially with hindsight. I'm certain that my extremely low GPA, as well as a 'one personal statement fits all" approach hurt my chances at the most competitive programs such as Berkeley and MIT. I did have very good letters of recommendation, though, and I busted my butt off for a 1460 GRE and an 860 Chemistry GRE. I was accepted to Northwestern, Cornell, UW Madison, CU Boulder (biochemistry), UC Irvine, and UC Davis.

My advice is to brainstorm with the kind of biochemistry research you are interested in. Are you interested in synthesis, structural biology, enzymology, protein dynamics, macromolecular interactions, spectroscopy, etc.? Be very flexible (I wasn't), and apply to both biology programs and chemistry programs, depending on how closely synchronized your research goals are to what the specific program/professors offer. It never hurts - and is often encouraged - to get high GRE scores both general and subject, if you are an international student.

Hi everybody,,

I am going to add to what others have said.

First, you will have to put more effort into your writing. What you write, whether it be a statement of purpose or a thread in a forum, is a reflection of what you are capable of.

Second, you are very involved in chemical and biochemical science through the ACS, UC Berkeley, and San Francisco State University. You should highlight how involvement with these three institutions has developed your critical thinking ability. If professors involved with these institutions can vouch to your ability in their letters, since your ability may not be highlighted in your GPA, then you have a chance at being accepted to many PhD programs.

Last, apply to private universities as opposed to public ones. There is a lot of funding issues with supporting international PhD students at public universities. Thus, international students may have a harder time competing for public PhD programs.

Best,

A SFSU alum

Edited by chemmastr

I apologize if my previous post gave the impression of gloom and doom. I think it's great that you already have at three great letters of recommendation this early in the application cycle. My word of advice: Make their job as hassle free as you can. This means that give them ample time (at least a month, but preferably 6 weeks of notice before the application deadline of each school), prepare every document necessary for them to write informed, personal letters of recommendation (such as an articulate summary of your past experience and future goals), and be prepared to defend your GPA and rationale for specific course selection, if they ask for your transcript.

Unlike medical school admissions where nothing short of a miracle can counteract a low GPA, admissions to a science PhD is quite flexible. It's your job to convince them articulately that you deserve to be admitted - that you're a great fit. You should set up a one-on-one appointment with a professor in biochemistry from your university, and ask for their advice.

I think you should take your GRE Subject Tests very seriously. They are only offered April, October, and November, and the April administration has already passed, regrettably. First decide if you need to take the exam in Biochemistry/Cell/Molecular Biology, or the Chemistry. While many Biology Departments will often not require either, they will happily accept them. On the other hand, a Chemistry Department will almost require, and often only accept the latter. Therefore, the GRE Chemistry Subject Test could be used for either departments.

The GRE General Exam is going through a complete overhaul. I am not sure about the specifics, but you should become familiar with the content ASAP. Study little by little, if you're not comfortable with your Verbal skills. One thing is certain: IT CAN BE CRACKED if you work at relentlessly before, and during the exam. For example, I got a 490 on the verbal the first time I tried. I studied seriously my second time, and took the exam very seriously, and the score went up to 690. It is not an exam of intelligence. Practice does make perfect.

Good luck!

Hi everybody,,

i appreciate for all the info that you guys gave...

i am studying for gre and will take the general one on june and the subject in the fall...

i am so focused on my research and class's right now. if i get anything published by the time i apply , i think it would be great...

i know there are couple good questions up there, for me to answer, such as, should i only apply for Biochem programs etc...

... i will spend most of my sumer deciding about the schools and programs i am going to apply..