American SIS-ID

tenner

Accepted but with no funding. Not sure if it's worth it. Anyone else planning on attending or not ? Curious about what everyone else thought.

I'm going to SIS for Global Enviromental Policy. I didn't get any funding either (only 10% of accepted applicants do I guess). I actually turned down a partially-funded offer (40% tuition from Milano, The New School) to accept SIS's offer. For me, SIS's program fits my interest in international environmental security perfectly. I was willing to give up partial tuition, trusting that I would be able to pursue my interests more closely and have a decent shot for 2nd year funding opportunities. I have already spoken with a prof about a grant he is working on that will provide grad students with paid positions next year, so I am hoping that might pan out, since he knows I am interested. In addition, the opportunities for internships and part-time jobs with relevant NGOs and government agencies in DC far outweighed those I could have gotten in NYC.

I can appreciate your hesitance to take the offer unfunded; it was a bit much for me to stomach at first too. I already have a large debt load from undergrad, and this it will essentially double in my first year. But I am willing to take that risk to do the program that I think is right for me at the school I think is best for me. Plus, all grad loans should be federal Stafford or PLUS loans, so you have the opportunity for loan forgiveness after 10 years of consistent payments. I'm sure I'll be tapping into that.

Have you guys talked to admissions or financial aid about post-decision reevaluations for potential funding? I declined my funded offer yesterday, so that's at least one pot of money that's been freed up. Good luck!

Have you guys talked to admissions or financial aid about post-decision reevaluations for potential funding? I declined my funded offer yesterday, so that's at least one pot of money that's been freed up. Good luck!

tkovac, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your feedback. As difficult as it is, I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge at AU. No funding at all is still hard to stomach but i have no choice. Good luck!

HandsomeNerd, I've been in contact with the AU financial aid office and they seemed pretty set on not negotiating when it comes to awards. I received a half tuition award from Brandeis and tried to leverage that but they weren't buying any of it. I guess it doesn't hurt to try again.

Yeah, it's worth asking them again. I turned down my offer - with substantial funding - this week

I also asked them about potential funding opportunities a while back, and they were pretty set in their ways. I do want to follow up, but am not sure quite the right way to go about it. Can you guys provide any insight (I just put up a thread about this in The Bank). Thanks.