Making the Final Decision

OnwardAndUp

Hi all...

I've been offered admissions in two MFA Playwriting Programs, University of Southern California and Catholic University. While I would love to live in DC and I'm not a fan of LA, something in my gut tells me that USC offers a better program. I'm a playwright but seek to branch out and learn different writing styles to make myself more marketable. Does anyone know more extensively about these programs? I'd love some input on which program you think is the better choice. Thanks!

I can't say about either of these programmes. But it looks like if you can find the 25% funding, USC-LA is better, because LA is a great place for playwright and other performance careers. If you can't find the funds, then you go to Catholic Univ.

I wish I could help you more. I also wish that the MFA rankings put out by Poets and Writers paid any attention to dramatic writing programs, because there's a serious information deficit out there. But based on my own MFA application research, USC has more of a reputation. I fear I hadn't really heard of Catholic University at all. USC's reputation in playwriting isn't that spectacular, but they are a big-name school in screenwriting, and you will have some access to that faculty- and with luck, some of those post-grad connections. If you're concerned about ever making money as a writer (being marketable), I think you have to go with USC. The main thing you have to weigh it against is how much you might hate LA. If you're in a place that's toxic to you, it can be really hard to do good work.

It seems like finances aren't that big a concern, and the packages are pretty similar anyway. I would check out cost of living and fees, just to make sure you aren't taking on a financial burden that will, again, impact your ability to do good work.

I can't say about either of these programmes. But it looks like if you can find the 25% funding, USC-LA is better, because LA is a great place for playwright and other performance careers. If you can't find the funds, then you go to Catholic Univ.

Thanks for the feedback. One of my concerns with Catholic University is in attending a school that is so religious in nature. I fear that the university's views would constrict the artist's ability to fully explore any subject matter without censorship and with the full support of the faculty. USC seems to have a more diverse faculty with a broad background of experiences.

On the other hand, DC is such a wonderful theatre city....

I agree theotherlily, there really is so little information out there about the quality and caliber of Dramatic Writing Programs. Aside from the obvious big names, NYU, Columbia, Brown, Yale... it's hard to judge what the MFA experience and outcome of the programs will be. Although I have to say, aside from NYU's big name, there wasn't much in the program that made it stand out to me more than any other program. And they don't really give much financial aid as far as I seem. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think I would rather be in a small program for 2 or 3 than lost in a big name school that accepts 22 other students.

Yeah, if it's actually religious, and not just in name, I'd definitely go with USC. LA's a great theatre city too, even if it doesn't have everything you're looking for in terms of vibe, and you can always go live in Chicago or something on your own dime, or on a summer internship. My general feeling is that USC has a great reputation, and you should be totally proud.

I'm against applying to Columbia in any genre. As I remember, NYU gives at least one person full funding, and if you're that person (I know a couple of people who have been), the program can do a lot for you. This info might be outdated, but it's a safe bet that any really large program won't fund everybody. I think NYU is worth applying to, but only worth accepting if you're funded. Can I ask how you put together your application list?

Thanks for the feedback. One of my concerns with Catholic University is in attending a school that is so religious in nature. I fear that the university's views would constrict the artist's ability to fully explore any subject matter without censorship and with the full support of the faculty. USC seems to have a more diverse faculty with a broad background of experiences.

On the other hand, DC is such a wonderful theatre city....

I agree theotherlily, there really is so little information out there about the quality and caliber of Dramatic Writing Programs. Aside from the obvious big names, NYU, Columbia, Brown, Yale... it's hard to judge what the MFA experience and outcome of the programs will be. Although I have to say, aside from NYU's big name, there wasn't much in the program that made it stand out to me more than any other program. And they don't really give much financial aid as far as I seem. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think I would rather be in a small program for 2 or 3 than lost in a big name school that accepts 22 other students.

Yeah, if it's actually religious, and not just in name, I'd definitely go with USC. LA's a great theatre city too, even if it doesn't have everything you're looking for in terms of vibe, and you can always go live in Chicago or something on your own dime, or on a summer internship. My general feeling is that USC has a great reputation, and you should be totally proud.

I'm against applying to Columbia in any genre. As I remember, NYU gives at least one person full funding, and if you're that person (I know a couple of people who have been), the program can do a lot for you. This info might be outdated, but it's a safe bet that any really large program won't fund everybody. I think NYU is worth applying to, but only worth accepting if you're funded. Can I ask how you put together your application list?

Hmm... interesting. Why are you against applying to Columbia?

I got waitlisted at NYU, so even if I get in I doubt I will be offered any kind of scholarship opportunity. I've known a few people who have gone through NYU's playwriting program as well. They seem to have had good experiences. From my point of view, when I compare their programs to other schools that don't have that big name, I just see them offering the students more. More in terms of, collaboration with students from other departments, production opportunities, personalized attention... things like that. The great thing about NYU is their networking opportunities with big name playwrights and artists who pass through.

The programs I applied to were based on a few criteria. 1- The location of the school (exposure to theatre and artistic environment). 2- The amount of individualized attention the student will receive. 3- The reputation of the program.

4- Production/Play development opportunities. 5- Programs that teach across the spectrum of dramatic writing. I also looked at ACTF to survey what universities have been doing well in their playwriting categories.

A friend of mine went to USC a few years ago and highly recommended the program. She got an agent after graduation and is doing well working as a screenwriting professor in Chicago. I hadn't ever heard of USC's Dramatic Writing Program before this but she her recommendation made me curious.

Have you applied anywhere theotherlily?

I'm a big advocate of well-funded programs. Columbia admits a huge cohort and saddles everyone who goes there with massive debt. Plus, I went to Columbia undergrad, and my English professors scorned the CW MFA as a cash cow, so I've had a notion of it as useless since I was a sprout.

I'm going to the Michener Center at UT Austin in the fall. It was the only program I applied to this year, and I'm still shocked that I got in- it's always been one of my dream programs. I did a wider application round a few years ago, which did include USC. I put my app list together mostly by contacting current MFA students, and asking them where they applied. I hadn't even heard of Catholic University, but because of the information deficit I'm not sure if that means the program doesn't have a rep, or if it just means I happened to miss it. It's kind of a pity! Poets and Writers and Seth Abrahamson are doing a good job of getting info out there for poets and fiction writers, but dramatic writers are being left out in the cold.

Hmm... interesting. Why are you against applying to Columbia?

I got waitlisted at NYU, so even if I get in I doubt I will be offered any kind of scholarship opportunity. I've known a few people who have gone through NYU's playwriting program as well. They seem to have had good experiences. From my point of view, when I compare their programs to other schools that don't have that big name, I just see them offering the students more. More in terms of, collaboration with students from other departments, production opportunities, personalized attention... things like that. The great thing about NYU is their networking opportunities with big name playwrights and artists who pass through.

The programs I applied to were based on a few criteria. 1- The location of the school (exposure to theatre and artistic environment). 2- The amount of individualized attention the student will receive. 3- The reputation of the program.

4- Production/Play development opportunities. 5- Programs that teach across the spectrum of dramatic writing. I also looked at ACTF to survey what universities have been doing well in their playwriting categories.

A friend of mine went to USC a few years ago and highly recommended the program. She got an agent after graduation and is doing well working as a screenwriting professor in Chicago. I hadn't ever heard of USC's Dramatic Writing Program before this but she her recommendation made me curious.

Have you applied anywhere theotherlily?

Wow congratulations on UT. They have a fantastic program from what I've heard. A former costume designer of mine was in their costume program and she loved the school.

So as it turns out, the package from Catholic is a bit more appealing than I originally realized. Apparently the 75% tuition coverage at USC is based on my acceptance of a TA assignment. I asked a current student how she juggled that plus her own writing and she said that honestly, it is quite challenging. The idea of having to teach and FINDING TIME to write in an MFA program is kind of a turn off. However, it's clear that USC has a better overall rep. Still at a loss. Any thoughts??

I'm a big advocate of well-funded programs. Columbia admits a huge cohort and saddles everyone who goes there with massive debt. Plus, I went to Columbia undergrad, and my English professors scorned the CW MFA as a cash cow, so I've had a notion of it as useless since I was a sprout.

I'm going to the Michener Center at UT Austin in the fall. It was the only program I applied to this year, and I'm still shocked that I got in- it's always been one of my dream programs. I did a wider application round a few years ago, which did include USC. I put my app list together mostly by contacting current MFA students, and asking them where they applied. I hadn't even heard of Catholic University, but because of the information deficit I'm not sure if that means the program doesn't have a rep, or if it just means I happened to miss it. It's kind of a pity! Poets and Writers and Seth Abrahamson are doing a good job of getting info out there for poets and fiction writers, but dramatic writers are being left out in the cold.

Hmmm. 75% tuition waiver with a TA assignment and no stipend? What work assignments do you have for Catholic? You should check if you're not sure whether you have one. The most common financial packages are some sort of work assignment that comes with a tuition waiver, and stipend, but I think even most partially-funded packages (ie, some amount of tuition waiver, no stipend) are attached to some sort of work hours. I'm pretty sure that if a school says it can offer you funding, you should assume you have to work for it.

Re: the TA assignment. What info do you have about the workload? How many classes? How many of the semesters? You should re-check the terms of both your acceptances. I'd still lean towards USC, unless the financial difference is really dramatic (IE, Catholic is a tuition waiver fellowship with no work assignments and a good stipend.)

So... as it turns out... "Nope, no stipulations. It's a scholarship from the Dean's office to cover tuition, not a TAship. No additional work required - just your classes!" This is for the scholarship at Catholic University.

The TA assignment at USC involves attending 2 lecture courses twice weekly and then leading the discussion group, each once a week. And grading papers..... I believe this is every semester for the 2nd and 3rd year.

Hmmm. In this case, you should redo your financials. At Catholic, you might have the time for a part time job. If that's an option, the financial difference between the schools starts to get more drastic. But if that's not something you want to do, I'd still lean towards USC. That's mostly because I have some sense of USC's rep, and no sense of Catholic's. That's me giving what I can give, which is the opinion of an outsider on what seems more useful and impressive.

But there's a lot of other stuff that only you can really decide for yourself- like how much uninterrupted time do you want to write, vs. how much do you want your grad school to get you connections. Or how much you hate LA. Or which program opportunities (productions, screenwriting classes) are most important. I think you should also try to gauge how much each given school wants you. It's fine to say you are considering other offers, and it's also fine to ask about the possibility of more funding (IE stipends) opening up.

Again, the info out there on dramatic writing MFAs sucks!

However, no living stipend at Catholic. They also don't have housing for graduate students.