MIT Media Lab

Is there any point in applying to this program if:

1.) Lack the programming experience

2.) but have the potential to prove to the faculty there that I will exceed beyond their expectations of their model of a successful applicant?

I am in the process of researching research groups and professors I am interested in doing research with. So far, the Personal Robots, Fluid Machines, and Human Dynamics groups have caught my eye. By next week, I will email these people to learn more about the program. Any tips or advice? I'm interested in HCI (Human-Computer Interaction). Thanks.

I am also interested in the MIT Media lab though I have not contacted anyone yet. Meaning my advice at this point is speculation from spending to much time reading the MIT Media lab web page.

• I would read the web pages of the lab that you are interested in emailing the professors of. For example the camera culture lab says you must put the words [Prospective Student] in the subject line of your email to prove you have read their web page. Other groups at the MIT Media lab may do similar.
    • I would definitely recommend that you work to do something to improve your programming knowledge. As while programming is complex it is something that there are lots of opportunities to improve in. Most community colleges have programming classes, and there are many resources online. Don't let lack of programming skills intimidate you as with hard work that is something that can be improved in a year. Though it will be hard work.

• Put together, or start thinking of some projects that can make a good website to present your previous work. Since part of the application is a portfolio component which may be even more important for you if you are coming from a non-technical area.
    Good Luck.

I am also interested in the MIT Media lab though I have not contacted anyone yet. Meaning my advice at this point is speculation from spending to much time reading the MIT Media lab web page.

• I would read the web pages of the lab that you are interested in emailing the professors of. For example the camera culture lab says you must put the words [Prospective Student] in the subject line of your email to prove you have read their web page. Other groups at the MIT Media lab may do similar.
    • I would definitely recommend that you work to do something to improve your programming knowledge. As while programming is complex it is something that there are lots of opportunities to improve in. Most community colleges have programming classes, and there are many resources online. Don't let lack of programming skills intimidate you as with hard work that is something that can be improved in a year. Though it will be hard work.

[*]Put together, or start thinking of some projects that can make a good website to present your previous work. Since part of the application is a portfolio component which may be even more important for you if you are coming from a non-technical area.

Good Luck.

My situation is a little bleak. I dont have the funds to take a programming course and I really really want to take one but I am unemployed and still seeking a job. I might have to contact the unemployment office because I have asked for grant funding and it is taking them so long to get back to me. Plus if I do build a portfolio, I do not think my stuff is related to HCI and HR; i'm coming from a marketing background but I am creative enough to pull them in. What I'm worried about is that I have seen online, successful Media Labs applicants have these stellar portfolios; It makes you think " have I been living under a rock these last 20 years?" Kind of intimidating. But I will be contacting these professors very soon.

Edited by Christina Brown