Accepted told funding is likely

Westy

I got accepted to my first choice school for a MS in Mechanical Engineering but with no funding offer. When I went to the prospective grad visitation day the department head told everyone that the vast majority of students get funding (80+%) and that we just needed to find a Prof with an open spot to work with. I didn't meet or hear of another student that had a funding offer at the event. All the professors and staff were supportive and encouraging that once we started attending we would find a position. Is this common? Several of my friends have commented that it sounds like a scam.

I would so dearly love to attend but the idea of quitting a nice job to start a program that I probably can't afford to finish without funding scares the hell out of me. I would consider waiting it out another year and waiting for a concrete offer but I don't know if I can survive the application process again.

Can you ask older students in the program? It sounds like they'd be the best people to go to for this question.

I got accepted to my first choice school for a MS in Mechanical Engineering but with no funding offer. When I went to the prospective grad visitation day the department head told everyone that the vast majority of students get funding (80+%) and that we just needed to find a Prof with an open spot to work with. I didn't meet or hear of another student that had a funding offer at the event. All the professors and staff were supportive and encouraging that once we started attending we would find a position. Is this common? Several of my friends have commented that it sounds like a scam.

I would so dearly love to attend but the idea of quitting a nice job to start a program that I probably can't afford to finish without funding scares the hell out of me. I would consider waiting it out another year and waiting for a concrete offer but I don't know if I can survive the application process again.

What school is this? I have a feeling I know which one. If the school's name starts with an "S" and its a private school on the west coast, I think you are right to be alarmed, as I have also heard things.

Be shrewd, but respectful when dealing with these programs. They act in their own self-interest, not yours.

Edited by mechengr2000

Large public school on the west coast.

During the visitation day I was able to talk to current students and they corroborated the story. Most said that finding funding should be no problem it just might take a quarter. Of course these were current students that were invited to meet with us by the faculty. I actually got a really good feeling about things during my visit but it would be stupid of me to not question a program I may dedicate the next few years of my life to. I asked the program coordinator to provide me with some additional statistics on who and who does not get funding. Will see what the reply is.

Reply from the department was "unfunded students are typically not planning to continue on with their PhD studies and are not conducting research."

In other words, when asked if I want to continue on with a PhD my answer isn't maybe or I think so. My answer is a most emphatic YES.