Dual Degree Programs MSW/J.D.

jmaung

Hi all,

I graduated June 2010 with majors in psychology and sociology, took some time to travel, and am currently working as a behavior therapist in San Francisco. I always thought I would end up in the field of social work (it seems to fit my values, personality, training and interests) but was more recently introduced to some joint J.D./MSW programs that seem really interesting. If I were to go into law, I would definitely want to go into the public interest sector and especially want to work with children and families.

So, for now, I'm studying my GREs and plan to also take my LSATs in October since I need to apply to social work and law programs.

My question is, is there anyone else in the same boat as me or with the same interests? Better yet, do you know anybody that has done this kind of dual degree program and what kind of work they are pursuing or doing now?

Any kind of help, mentorship, or advice would be appreciated. I feel like I'm drowning a bit in this whole process...

• 2 months later...

Hi! I am also a recent grad interested in MSW/JD programs...The process is a bit overwhelming but i think it will be worth it. I have taken the LSAT already and I am opting out of the GRE since most social work schools don't require it but good luck its tough to take so many tests!

i want to do a dual degree so I have the tools to not just advocate for traditionally under or misrepresented groups but also so I can empower others to advocate for themselves and provide them with the tools/resources they need to reach their goals.

I don't know how helpful I can be, since I am just starting to research/apply myself but below is a list schools I found that have the program. Have you called any of the schools? I want to wait until I figure out where I am applying, but I would love to hear more about the programs academically, and see some employment data or just talk to some of the current students to see what they thought about the program, what kind of jobs they got, how SW licensing worked out for them (in addition to passing an exam, becoming a LCSW usually takes 3,000 hours of post grad work where you are supervised by an LCSW and I worry if I take a legal oriented job at legal aid or a non-profit right after graduating, I will miss the chance to become a LCSW)...Anyway here is the list, I am sure there are more schools but here is what I found so far...

SUNY-Buffalo

SUNY-Albany SW/Albany Law School

Syracuse

U of St. Thomas MN

Rutgers (can do dual degree with either law campus- Newark or Camden)

Case Western

Catholic

U of Pitt

U of CT

Loyola Chicago- their law school has a special child law program too!

U of Richmond Law/VCU SW

University of Iowa

University of MD

Boston College

Fordham University

WUSTL

Tulane

University of Georgia

University of Washington

NYU

UPENN

Columbia

Michigan

Florida State U

Yeshiva University

University of Texas-Austin

University of Houston

University of Nevada - Las Vegas

UC Berkley

UCLA

USC

University of Utah

UNC-Chapel Hill

University of Denver

• 1 month later...

I was considering going into a joint MSW/JD program during my last year in undergrad, but I had lunch with a former professor who also practices law (she has a jd, history degree and msw!) and she really shed some insight for me. she broght up the point that as a social worker, I would be expected to act in that capacity; not to be giving legal advice. and as a lawyer, the reverse would apply. so each profession would expect a particular role, not necessarily a loose mix of both roles as I had sort of assumed.

So that really made me reflect about what sort of profession I would like to pursue, and for what reason. even though law can be far more lucrative and 'respected' than social work, would it enable me to really help people in the same way that social work might? Right now I'm just focusing on doing my Masters and seeing what comes next.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I am a current JD/MSW student at Washington University in St. Louis. I ultimately want to go into holistic public defense (criminal defense and social services in one office). I love the perspective that both degrees offer me! I think anyone interested in public interest law, or policy advocacy social work should get both degrees.

JacobA- You can't counsel the same person in both law and social work, but I know many people who practice both. I have a friend who works at a domestic violence legal clinic part time and has her own private mental health practice part time as well. It's possible to do both. There is also something called mitigation work in the court system that mixes both social work and law. Mitigation revolves around helping alleviate the collateral consequences that come from a criminal conviction.

I have friends that are alums who do lobbying work in DC, work in family court, domestic violence legislation and much more. I interned at one of 2 holistic defense agencies this summer and received an Equal Justice Work summer fellowship. I think part of the reason I was selected for these was because of my dual degree program. I highly recommend the program.

Edited by robin600