Letters of Recommendation

MAN

I just sent out packages to my recommenders with all the necessary cover sheets, postage paid envelopes, and so on. But, I have not yet ruled out applying to additional schools. If I decided to apply to more schools, do you think it would be an issue to come back to my recommenders and ask that they submit a couple more letters for me?

I'm assuming it wouldn't be a big deal, but I wanted to see what the rest of you think.

Of course, I could just go the Ferraro route and walk into the office of the recommenders, grab each by the collar, and tell them they will write additional letters for me, or else.

I just sent out packages to my recommenders with all the necessary cover sheets, postage paid envelopes, and so on. But, I have not yet ruled out applying to additional schools. If I decided to apply to more schools, do you think it would be an issue to come back to my recommenders and ask that they submit a couple more letters for me?

I'm assuming it wouldn't be a big deal, but I wanted to see what the rest of you think.

Of course, I could just go the Ferraro route and walk into the office of the recommenders, grab each by the collar, and tell them they will write additional letters for me, or else.

haha

No it won't be a big deal, most professors are accustomed to these sorts of things when dealing with the grad admission race :D

You have alighted on a fine procedure, you best of men. But I would be much more subtle to begin with. Drop by their office, chewing on an apple or confection, and casually mention you'd like another letter for any additional schools. If they are reading papers, or defer your request because they are "busy", call him/her a devil and leave, slamming their door. Go to the computer library and e-mail them an angry tirade, CC'ng the faculty, department head, the dean of the college, and as many students you can think of. Keep selecting "reply all" to each successive reply you get from him/her. This will assuredly expedite the letter-writing process, which is critical if you decide on a school closer to the deadline than we are now -- time is, quite literally, money. Report back.