GRE tantrum:

sbeck1981

Here's the deal. I took the Miller Analogy Test (MAT) in 2007. I scored in the 97th percentile. I was admitted to Mensa and my doctoral program of choice (Loyola Chicago). However, I withdrew from the doctoral program upon realizing it was excessively research-based, rather than clinically focused as advertised. I then committed myself to five years post-MSW experience in the field, as is customary (usually) for admission preparation for doctoral study.

THAT SAID:

I am in the process of applying (currently just waiting, actually, since I took the GRE yesterday) for a new doctoral program of choice. This is a strictly clinical DSW (Doctor of Social Work) program, rather than a dodgy "it has 'philosophy' in the title; it might be more research-heavy than you think" Ph.D, like last time.

I took the GRE yesterday and at 29 years old, nearly threw a legitimate temper tantrum upon reading my results. I scored a 610 in VERBAL, and 420 (save the pot jokes!) in quantitative. WHO SCORES THAT WAY??? :angry: I know I will get a 5.5 or 6 on writing; that's always been my strong suit, thankfully. But honestly- my verbal score is a good 55 points above the average verbal score of graduate students at HARVARD. What the hell is my quantitative score all about? Granted, I haven't taken math since I was an undergraduate in 2004, but....seriously? I don't score below average on tests, and I totally just did on that math section. But apparently I'm some sort of nutty-ass, right-brained, linguistic genius (well, not "genius," but somehow higher than ALL THE AVERAGE IVY LEAGUE VERBAL SCORES), and a lost cause with numbers. That's what frustrates me, though- I am GOOD at math! I don't know what happened, except that I was up until 4 AM "studying," and I was tired. That has never affected me before.

Regardless, I had very little difficulty brushing up on my math the night before the test. When I tested, however, it was not really what I expected per the GRE practice material from the website. No excuses, that crap on the test isn't hard! I don't know WHAT I did! It just seemed like all the elements of math at which I'm really good (algebra, geometry...anything NOT exclusively word problems!) were not on my test. I had 28 word problems, basically, and I realized I wasn't going to finish on time; I ended up clicking random answers, hoping for probability to fall in my favor more than it should for 15 x a 25% chance of a correct response. Alas. I guess I should never play the lottery.

Oh, and SCREW THE GRE! If my school wanted something that showed I am disproportionately good at verbal things and not-so-genius at math, they could have ACCEPTED MY MAT SCORE like I requested! It basically states the exact same thing, except even the MAT score was a little higher than the GRE verbal, and that test is *harder!*

Some things just make no sense to me.

More than math, more than verbal abilities or analytical writing, the GRE tests its takers on their ability to take the GRE. Fortunately, the GRE isn't anywhere near the most important factor of admissions, so I wouldn't worry too much! :) But you might ask if your program has a minimum score requirement.

I'll warn you that I had similar confidence that my writing score would be high, and well... It wasn't. So brace yourself on that front as well. My poor score didn't stop me from getting funding from 4 of the 7 masters programs I applied to, though. My sense is if you present an otherwise strong application, it should be that great a factor.

MENSA admittances are based on the IQ test, not the GRE. I'm not saying that to be snarky or anything, just to clarify. You have to have the percentile equivalent of about the 136 or above to get into MENSA (on the adult GRE or equivalent juvenile test... all of which are usually administed by a psychologist). That is a different skill set. The GRE does NOT measure that. The old GRE quantitative largely measures your abilty to do math in your head and geometry. The NEW GRE math section has a practice calculator and, I'm told, more math that is algebraic based, so maybe take that. I haven't studied math for years and years and with no studying scored an ATROCIOUS 650 :( However, if you're in the humanities, it doesn't really matter. Pick your battles. If you want your math score to be high for other reasons, review the new GRE math section and take it again post August 1. It really has NOTHING to do with IQ, seriously.

For some reason I can't edit my above post right now, but the bit in parentheses shouldn't be adult GRE or juvenile equivalent BUT IQ test like the Wechsler. .. sorry for any confusion. Anyway, the point is IQ test does not equal GRE at all. Don't be down on yourself!!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead post.

I took the MAT recently and scored 455 (scaled).

Is this similar to your MAT score that granted you membership into the MENSA.

I ask because I was wondering if my score would make the cut-off for joining the American Mensa.

Thanks and I wish you luck in your endevours.

AJ

Here's the deal. I took the Miller Analogy Test (MAT) in 2007. I scored in the 97th percentile. I was admitted to Mensa and my doctoral program of choice (Loyola Chicago). However, I withdrew from the doctoral program upon realizing it was excessively research-based, rather than clinically focused as advertised. I then committed myself to five years post-MSW experience in the field, as is customary (usually) for admission preparation for doctoral study.

THAT SAID:

I am in the process of applying (currently just waiting, actually, since I took the GRE yesterday) for a new doctoral program of choice. This is a strictly clinical DSW (Doctor of Social Work) program, rather than a dodgy "it has 'philosophy' in the title; it might be more research-heavy than you think" Ph.D, like last time.

I took the GRE yesterday and at 29 years old, nearly threw a legitimate temper tantrum upon reading my results. I scored a 610 in VERBAL, and 420 (save the pot jokes!) in quantitative. WHO SCORES THAT WAY??? angry.gif I know I will get a 5.5 or 6 on writing; that's always been my strong suit, thankfully. But honestly- my verbal score is a good 55 points above the average verbal score of graduate students at HARVARD. What the hell is my quantitative score all about? Granted, I haven't taken math since I was an undergraduate in 2004, but....seriously? I don't score below average on tests, and I totally just did on that math section. But apparently I'm some sort of nutty-ass, right-brained, linguistic genius (well, not "genius," but somehow higher than ALL THE AVERAGE IVY LEAGUE VERBAL SCORES), and a lost cause with numbers. That's what frustrates me, though- I am GOOD at math! I don't know what happened, except that I was up until 4 AM "studying," and I was tired. That has never affected me before.

Regardless, I had very little difficulty brushing up on my math the night before the test. When I tested, however, it was not really what I expected per the GRE practice material from the website. No excuses, that crap on the test isn't hard! I don't know WHAT I did! It just seemed like all the elements of math at which I'm really good (algebra, geometry...anything NOT exclusively word problems!) were not on my test. I had 28 word problems, basically, and I realized I wasn't going to finish on time; I ended up clicking random answers, hoping for probability to fall in my favor more than it should for 15 x a 25% chance of a correct response. Alas. I guess I should never play the lottery.

Oh, and SCREW THE GRE! If my school wanted something that showed I am disproportionately good at verbal things and not-so-genius at math, they could have ACCEPTED MY MAT SCORE like I requested! It basically states the exact same thing, except even the MAT score was a little higher than the GRE verbal, and that test is *harder!*

Some things just make no sense to me.

This is just another example of what is now well known about the GRE.  That is, it doesn't say jack about a student's academic potential, it actually predicts socio-economic background more than anything else.  Why is a long story, but trust me on that, there is a lot of data.  My Master's program accepted the MAT, and I took that because it is actually meant to be a measure of a person's basic intelligence profile.  I too scored very high on that test and scored like a dope on the GRE.  The GRE is nothing but a test of one's ability to do academic tricks for profit, profit that is accumulated by a massive multinational corporate testing monopoly.  Further, I have it on really, really good intel that unless you are in a strict science or mathematical field, the GRE is increasingly being seen by admissions committees as little more than a hoop their applicants have to jump through.  I have a low GRE score, but I am cited in the bibliography of one of the professors in the program I am applying to, and I have been published multiple times.  What did I get on the writing?  Like a 4.5.  I think I forgot how to write a 5th grade essay.  The short story is: focus on your SOP, your writing/research sample, and your letters.  The GRE is a joke against all that, especially if you have a killer GPA, which you do!!!