CS PhD ad from Ohio state University, is it worth going?

iloveit

I've been told by professors that it's not worth it to join a department if you aren't guaranteed funding for at least the first year. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone can predict your chances of getting funding later, but, I'd think they would definitely be higher as long as you were doing well.

Any other admits? Have you talked to anyone there about funding?

I've been told by professors that it's not worth it to join a department if you aren't guaranteed funding for at least the first year. Unfortunately, I'm not sure anyone can predict your chances of getting funding later, but, I'd think they would definitely be higher as long as you were doing well.

Any other admits? Have you talked to anyone there about funding?

I have no other choice. If I don't go to osu, I will have to apply next year. I contacted some professor, but didn't get any reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no alternative. :(

Ohio State is ranked 28th for CS PhD by usnews. So it is NOT bad... I mean, a top 30 school :)

And isn't it true that CS PhD students (at any school) generally get funding after a semester or something, even if they weren't initially offered funding?

Maybe this is no longer true due to the bad economy?

Edited by csperson