BioMEMS in the USA

damnedghost

Hi. I am interested in the subject of BioMEMS.

I'm a third year undergrad in Biotechnology so, have nothing but a decent background in the basic sciences (from the common courses that are required).

Now, I still have a year to go for making a final concrete decision. What I want to know is, whether I should hunt for an MS program or a PhD program in the field of BioMEMS?

I'm interested in the field because of

1. Using my biotechnology/life sciences background IN ENGINEERING
  2. BioMEMS is heavy on creativity like any other MEMS
  3. Opportunities as an entrepreneur, especially in India.
Now, the roadblocks are:

1. No extraordinary GPA - 7.05 on a ten point scale
  2. No research experience
  3. The field is very specific and might not serve the purpose if I do the program from just any other school!
What could be the road ahead? I have a few more things on mind, but will bring them up if the discussion goes any further!

Hi therealwinster,

I'm a senior undergrad in BME. I'm going to be doing a Masters at Columbia this Fall in BioMEMS/microfluidics.

I have looked into this question for a long time: Should I get an M.S. or a Ph.D.?

The answer is really up to you. What kind of work do you want to do in the end?

Some things to consider:

• With an M.S. you learn about a broad range of topics within the field and research a bit into a certain problem. With a Ph.D. you research incredibly in-depth into a single problem and become an expert on it over a long time.
  • The merit of having an M.S. is that you can finish and start working earlier. The merit of having a Ph.D. is that you have an incredibly rich background behind you when you finish and you will have a slightly higher salary.
  • An M.S. is only 1-2 years whereas a Ph.D. is 5-6 years.
  • A Ph.D. really requires you to be incredibly committed. It is generally looked down upon to leave halfway with a Masters.
  • There are M.S. programs in the U.S. that are strictly professional (1 year) and are course-based, geared towards readying students to work in industry. Other (most) M.S. programs are 1.5 - 2 years and entail either coursework or Masters thesis research or both.

Now having said that, top Ph.D. programs in BME in the U.S. are incredibly competitive. Most schools have a 3.5/4.0 minimum GPA requirement and extensive research experience. I had a lot of research experience but only a 3.2 GPA, so I only got into 1 Ph.D. program at a "safety school" while being rejected from 10 others.

You will have a very hard time getting into any Ph.D. programs without prior research experience. You may want to consider applying to M.S. programs instead and then pursue research if you are interested.

As my mentor has told me, just work hard and stay intellectually curious. Things will work out for the better.

Edited by profoundquiet

You will have a very hard time getting into any Ph.D. programs without prior research experience. You may want to consider applying to M.S. programs instead and then pursue research if you are interested.

As my mentor has told me, just work hard and stay intellectually curious. Things will work out for the better.

True that!!! And this is not discouraging at all.

And thank you for the incredibly detailed and informative reply! I do have a lot of questions brewing, but I'll bring them up later. Maybe a day or two. Just need to articulate them better.

Once again, thanks! That was HELPFUL!