MFA/MA (art hist) dual degree?

ChaiLatte

Hi guys ~

I was wondering if any one here is currently enrolled in a dual MFA/MA program (for Fine Arts/ Art History) or thinking of applying to one. I am an abstract painter and art historian browsing through programs. My goal is to become an art historian, but I want to push my painting further. There appear to be some MFA/MA programs listed online, but I haven't been able to find many. Most of them are on the west coast. Does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of programs? Any outside the west coast? Or ... is is this an uncommon route to take? Anyone have strong views on the topic?

Thanks in advance!

(ps. I posted this in the art forum as well)

Hi guys ~

I was wondering if any one here is currently enrolled in a dual MFA/MA program (for Fine Arts/ Art History) or thinking of applying to one. I am an abstract painter and art historian browsing through programs. My goal is to become an art historian, but I want to push my painting further. There appear to be some MFA/MA programs listed online, but I haven't been able to find many. Most of them are on the west coast. Does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of programs? Any outside the west coast? Or ... is is this an uncommon route to take? Anyone have strong views on the topic?

Thanks in advance!

(ps. I posted this in the art forum as well)

I think the School of the Art Institute of Chicago might let you do both... Otherwise, that's pretty unheard of. I was debating doing the same thing a few years ago and it just seems like you have to make a decision. You can always do both, but I think one will eventually have to become more of a priority. I think some MFA programs let you minor in Art History or take a lot of coursework in it, and I'm sure some MA Art History programs let you take studio courses.

What's your ultimate goal? If you want to be an artist, I would find an MFA program that offers access to Art History, and focus on your work. You can teach studio with an MFA (if that's what you wanted to do) and I'm sure some schools would let you teach theory-based studio courses if that was your interest (if it is...).

What period of Art History are you interested in? If it's contemporary, are you interested in art criticism? I think the art practice/art criticism duo is much more common and established than art practice/academia. Look at Robert Storr (Dean of the Yale School of Art, painter, critic and basically an art historian without a PhD) for an example of someone who has been VERY successful on this path. David Batchelor is another example--an artist who has published on critical theory.

I have a background in studio and to be honest, dedicated study of Art History pretty much beat the will to create out of me. The more I learned about art history/the art market/the art world, the less I felt I had to contribute. I will be pursuing a PhD in AH, but no longer practice at all. I think you do have to commit to one or the other if your choices are art practice and academia.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the School of the Art Institute of Chicago might let you do both... Otherwise, that's pretty unheard of. I was debating doing the same thing a few years ago and it just seems like you have to make a decision. You can always do both, but I think one will eventually have to become more of a priority. I think some MFA programs let you minor in Art History or take a lot of coursework in it, and I'm sure some MA Art History programs let you take studio courses.

What's your ultimate goal? If you want to be an artist, I would find an MFA program that offers access to Art History, and focus on your work. You can teach studio with an MFA (if that's what you wanted to do) and I'm sure some schools would let you teach theory-based studio courses if that was your interest (if it is...).

Here are some more programs that offer dual ma/mfa (though I didn't check if they're specifically geared to painting--I think CCA may be more design/visual studies oriented)

http://www.albany.edu/finearts/mfa.shtml

http://www.cca.edu/academics/graduate/visual-critical-studies/dualdegree

http://activeweb.sfai.edu/graduate/dual

http://www.purchase.edu/Departments/Admissions/ApplicationInstructions/graduateartanddesignmfa.aspx

Also, something to consider is that the associate curator for Art:21, Wesley Miller, got his MFA at Yale, so it is possible to intermingle though I think at first it may be difficult.

http://beta.art21.org/doc/1635/staff/#miller

the diff between an MA and MFA is also the diff between a terminal degree and non terminal degree, i.e. funding or non funding. If you're just looking to improve your painting because you love painting, not because you want to make a career of it, you can just as easily (and perhaps more cheaply) take classes in your spare time...

You can do this at SUNY Purchase and SAIC, but the art history MA will be in modern art and theory. You won't know about ancient, renaissance, or anything else, unless you seek it on your own (weak distribution requirements). Better to get admitted to an MFA program at a school that offers a regular MA in art history, and then see if you can take art history courses, prove yourself, and be accepted into art history as well.