GRE Score. Ugh.

academiccricket

I pretty much have studied every weekend for the past two years for the GRE, and I was consistently scoring within the 1300-1400 range on practice tests within the past 6 months. I finally took it this week, and was a bit disheartened by my results:

Verbal: 590

Quant: 600.

Writing: TBD. (I'd be incredibly surprised if I got lower than a 5.5., but stranger things clearly have happened.)

Here's the thing, it is high enough not to completely suck, but not high enough to make me "safe," despite Ferrero probably saying that the University will give me loads of funding, and maybe even a Porsche based on the score alone, and I should burn down any offices that don't, while slashing tires of all the faculty, etc.

I don't care about really the "safe" portion so much, but I wonder if it will help counter-balance my low UG GPA from 5 years ago...I had one bad semester that brought my GPA down to a 2.8 (I was really sick, diagnosed with a chronic disease and missed a lot of class) , other than that, I got all A's and B's. I have an M.A. GPA of 3.7, and pretty decent all-around credentials (adjuncted an upper-division class in my field for a semester, etc)...

I sit in a cubicle all day now, so I guess if I get rejected from programs, not a lot will change.

Will this score help me counter-balance the low GPA? Or should I re-take and risk getting an even lower score (not to mention shelling out a $140 more dollars), because I'm not sure what to differently (I went through Barron's GRE prep book, Kaplan's Math Review, Arco's Math Review, and the ETS GRE prep book, FYI...I hate standardized tests) and I certainly can't afford GRE prep classes.

Thoughts?

My scores are similar to yours but here is my response which may contrast from others. If I were in your shoes, I would not retake the test. Instead I would focus on my statement, writing sample, and reference letters. The better schools will look at your record comprehensively and will not base sole judgment on the GRE. The low ugrad gpa may be a problem, but you say you have an MA with a 3.7 gpa so you have shown that you can handle graduate work. In this case I would attach an addendum about the scores.

On the other hand, if you have the funds and time to prepare more, then by all means retake it. The choice is yours. Either way good luck :)

I had similar results the first time I took the test--I studied my butt off for 4 months straight and was scoring into the 700 range on verbal on practice tests, and when I went to take the actual test, I got a 600. It sent me into a stupor for a few days! My advice contrasts the previous poster, but if you strongly feel that you can do better, you still have a bit of time. Take it again. The second time I tried, I didn't do much more studying except for briefly going over my notes, and my score jumped up to a 660. If you can show improvement, that may count for more than the score alone. GREs are all random, don't take it to heart.

I too have a low ugrad GPA, with a high MA GPA, and was convinced I had to be in the 95% on the GRE to compensate for the ugrad gpa. But after talking to lots of different people, my feeling has change...there are lots of things that mitigate a low ugrad GPA --how long ago it was, the experience you've gained and what youve learned since then, recommendations, SOP etc. Although I have just applied and haven't gotten accepted yet. We'll see if its the right attitude or not!