21,500k (for 12 months) in Princeton?

I hear that housing is almost impossible to come by outside of the university. I'm too old to move back into a dorm, but my understanding is that it can be difficult for a first-year to get an apartment in university housing. Would it be possible to live on 21,500 if I can't get a place through the university?

Housing can be expensive in Princeton. Check out http://point.princeton.edu/tigertrade and click on housing to get an idea.

Here are some excerpts though...

"seeking housemate for a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house a 5 min walk from campus, near Nassau and Washington. You would pay $800/month, including utilities, or $900, including parking."

"looking to share a nice, spacious, 2nd-story, 2-bedroom Lawrence low-rise apt. with shared kitchen, living & dining room, and bath. Rent is currently $504/month, plus about $10/per person/month for utilities. On the shuttle route, or 15 min. walk to campus" university-owned, I believe

"Roommate wanted to retain 2 bedroom Butler apartment (large unit) for 2006-07 school year. Apartmentmate is a friendly female 3rd year grad student. Apartment is fully furnished except for your bedroom. Rent is $365/month+util (but lower rent can be negotiated for a commuter student.)" university-owned

"Magie Apartments, 7th floor, 3 bedrooms, apartment furnished, bedroom unfurnished, laundry in basement, lower rent than comparable apartments (continous lease for several years) projected to $470/month/person." university-owned

"We have one bedroom open in a three bedroom house, 10min walk from campus. The place is great - hardwood floors, front porch, new kitchen, spacious bedrooms and common areas. The room for rent is $725/mo plus utilities."

I hope that helps.