GPA's for Masters

Gecko

I'm an Irish University student in my final year currently doing a joint major in Economics and Geography. However I'm looking to make the move into communications, specifically television production (odd switch I know) once my Undergrad is completed. My college of choice is Boston University and their television production masters. However I have a huge issue in that their required GPA is 3.0 and I only have a ridiculously low GPA of 2.6. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how strict this GPA requirement is and whether or not I have any shot in being accepted. I plan on taking a year to complete certain production courses to get a foundation of certain skills and techniques as well as creating a reel of different work, and then applying for Fall 2012. If anyone could give me any info on Boston University, how heavily they rely on GPA, or even any other similar courses it would help me more than you know. From the American students in my college who I've talked to they all seem to think that their U.S universities grade way more easily although I doubt admissions would have this mind set.

3.0 is a pretty standard required minimum BUT since you're switching fields pretty dramatically, I'd really recommend that you take some film courses and comm courses, get all A's in those, and then address this GPA issue in your SOP, pointing out that you have a 4.0 in relevant courses. You might also contact the DGS for the MA program at BU and explain the grade issue, asking for any recommendations about how to offset the GPA. Good luck!