Rate my chances for STANFORD!

I am a senior at a university in Canada hoping to go into a Finance Ph.D program in the US.

I would like to go into one of the top Finance Ph.D grad schools (In hopes of going to work in the industry afterwards).

Here are my specs, please tell me what you think!

Asian Female

Major: Honours Physics

GPA: ~3.7

Courses: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Introductory Econ, General to Advanced Physics (Intro, E&M up to grad level, Quantum up to grad level, Thermo, Classical Mech, Statistical Mech, Optics, Mathematical Physics)

GRE: 770Q/550V/?W

Experience:

- 4 month work in a major mathematical software company as a application developer

- 4 month work as a research assistant

- 1 year physical chemistry research in a national laboratory in the US (3 publications pending)

- 1 year experience working in top software company to develop voice recognition systems

- 8 month work in developing voice recognition systems for embedded systems

- 8 month research project in finance

What do you think about my chances in US top financial phd programs? (also if you could suggest me some choices I'd be thankful!!!)

I was thinking of applying to:

Stanford

UC Berkeley

Chicago

Columbia

UPenn

Duke

Cornell

=) =) =)

1. huh? you graduated with an honors degree in physics and you want to go straight into a finance grad program out of college? i don't understand. did you minor in finance or business or anything?

2. apply to some SAFETY SCHOOLS!!! no matter how awesome you think you are, you won't get accepted to half those schools at least. it just ain't gonna happen. especially since you seem so much more science oriented. you'll need to demonstrate that you can achieve in the finance field what you've achieved with your science studies. and i'm sure those top tier schools have mountains of applications from people with qualifications as good or better than yours but with specific undergraduate studies in finance. so they'd have you beat.

• 1 year later...

I am a senior at a university in Canada hoping to go into a Finance Ph.D program in the US.

I would like to go into one of the top Finance Ph.D grad schools (In hopes of going to work in the industry afterwards).

Here are my specs, please tell me what you think!

Asian Female

Major: Honours Physics

GPA: ~3.7

Courses: Calculus, Linear Algebra, Statistics, Introductory Econ, General to Advanced Physics (Intro, E&M up to grad level, Quantum up to grad level, Thermo, Classical Mech, Statistical Mech, Optics, Mathematical Physics)

GRE: 770Q/550V/?W

Experience:

- 4 month work in a major mathematical software company as a application developer

- 4 month work as a research assistant

- 1 year physical chemistry research in a national laboratory in the US (3 publications pending)

- 1 year experience working in top software company to develop voice recognition systems

- 8 month work in developing voice recognition systems for embedded systems

- 8 month research project in finance

What do you think about my chances in US top financial phd programs? (also if you could suggest me some choices I'd be thankful!!!)

I was thinking of applying to:

Stanford

UC Berkeley

Chicago

Columbia

UPenn

Duke

Cornell

=) =) =)

I am actually quite optimistic about your application. I don't see a reason why they should reject you based on the criteria of GPA or GRE, or the classes you've taken. But I must say that the program is very competitive. I think you profile looks like average accepted candidate pool, but many qualify candidate still don't get accepted, the space is limited. I don't know how much they value work experience, but a number of them have good work experience.

I think you should definitely apply, that's my 2 cents.

• 5 months later...

Yeah there are many good schools for Finance Ph.D in US. It is difficult to say which is good and which is bad it all depends upon us it is better if you yourself search for it. If you want to get job in one of the good school first you have to work in small schools for 2-3 years so that you will get more experience. Then you can apply for the good schools easily and you can get jobs.