Math GRE Subject Test

Hey, how hard is the Math GRE Subject Test?

I got an 800 on the General GRE Math Section.

I am an MS in Mechanical Engineering, and I did a minor in Math as an undergrad.

Here are some courses I have taken:

Prob Stat I & II

Tensor Calculus

Calculus of Variations

Linear Programming

Multivariable Calc, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

What do you think I should focus on and study for the MATH GRE, based on the info above?

The subject test is a beast. Based on the information you listed, about 30-40% of the content on the math GRE is going to be stuff you've never seen before. If you are still set on taking it, besides calculus, and linear algebra you should probably learn abstract algebra, some real analysis, discrete math and a little bit of general topology.

• 1 month later...

Hey, how hard is the Math GRE Subject Test?

I got an 800 on the General GRE Math Section.

I am an MS in Mechanical Engineering, and I did a minor in Math as an undergrad.

Here are some courses I have taken:

Prob Stat I & II

Tensor Calculus

Calculus of Variations

Linear Programming

Multivariable Calc, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

What do you think I should focus on and study for the MATH GRE, based on the info above?

if you dont have to take the subject test i wouldn't if i were you. You need to study analysis, abstract algebra, topology, complex analysis as those are the subjects you are missing. Based on a recent test these topics are at least a third of the test. And its pretty hard to study those subjects if you havent taken a course in them

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Test is fucking hard, go back in time and do competition math that seems to correlate best with high scores. Nah, but really that test is killer on time; no time to figure things out / rederive things so you really need to have your whole calc sequence committed to memory. Linear algebra too; and know your first courses in group theory, analysis, topology, and combinatorics. Besides that the practice tests available are complete shit but really all you have so do all of those but don't trust your scores on them. GL