NSF GRFP

timuralp

how likely will this new update on fastlane today be them putting up the results? I just want to gage the importance of the update and that people are getting results from NSF now...

Yea so btw I think it's totally legit that plisar doesn't post the results. That would be kinda wrong you guys. Obvs (s)he was basically doing us a favor by mentioning that the results are starting to be released.

So, usually when websites go down (def. correct me if i'm wrong) it's for software updates/fixing stuff with the server/etc. Last year the results were posted at like 9 am on a Friday and there was no website update beforehand. but ... if people are starting to find out, that means we should, soon, too.

To distract from the madness a little, I have a legit question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet and hope someone on here will know-

If I did receive the GRFP, when would the funding be released to me? I'm looking for money to support my research starting this summer and am wondering if NSF GRFP money would start coming in over the summer or if it wouldn't start until fall. If someone knows for sure, then I know whether or not for sure to look for grants/money for the summer.

Thanks!

To distract from the madness a little, I have a legit question that I haven't been able to find an answer to yet and hope someone on here will know-

If I did receive the GRFP, when would the funding be released to me? I'm looking for money to support my research starting this summer and am wondering if NSF GRFP money would start coming in over the summer or if it wouldn't start until fall. If someone knows for sure, then I know whether or not for sure to look for grants/money for the summer.

Thanks!

Good question and I agree that the funding begins in the fall although i'm really not sure- however I think you'd have a tough time finding funding sufficient to support you entire summer's research on such short notice. Maybe within your university there are still opportunities but as far as I know the application dates for summer funding are mostly passed by now. good luck!

If I did receive the GRFP, when would the funding be released to me? I'm looking for money to support my research starting this summer and am wondering if NSF GRFP money would start coming in over the summer or if it wouldn't start until fall. ...

You may start using your NSF fellowship this summer.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2004/nsf04054/nsf04054.pdf

Page 9 paragraph 2. Apparently this document hasn't been updated in five years, but I assume it is still applicable regardless.

Great, thanks! My adviser is waiting for me to accept a summer RAship depending on NSF...I'll just keep putting him off.

No problem. I already accepted a summer teaching position in anticipation of not getting this award. In the unlikely event that I do get it, the department would be elated-- and wouldn't fuss about having to reassign the teaching job in the halo of such a blessing.

Good luck to you :)

Hi plisar, if you're still around, do you have any insights about the number of awards this year based on your list? Double the usual number or roughly what you expected? There's been speculation about giving as many as 75% more awards this year as you may know.

Almost 5PM ET...time to wrassle up some jiffypop and kick back

I just wanted to clue some of you in on how the NSF awards are decided.

All honorable mentions are awards NSF thinks are worth funding. However, they don't have enough money to fund them all. So be proud of yourself if you get an HM.

In addition, NSF is federally funded. So what does that mean? Once all awards are scored, a computer program designates who will and will not get funding, based on a number of factors, including your home state and an approximation of how many awards your discipline should get. But what it really means is that someone from Arkansas is more likely to get funding than someone from California with equal quality of application. This is because a smaller percentage of the state population of Arkansas end up applying to NSF as compared with a percentage from California. Federal tax money goes to pay for NSF- state senators will be pissed if all awards go to people who live on the coasts.

Didn't you wonder why you had to input where you went to high school?

As a last note- I was just at a conference for my field this weekend. Contrary to what other people have said, my impression was that President Obama earmarked some of the NSF stimulus funding to go to graduate students because he wants to have a trained set of scientists for the next generation. Because the stimulus money must be spent by a certain time, it's my understanding that some of this money will go to the GRFP in addition to the dissertation improvement grants.

This doesn't bode well. it seems like they are uploading the rating sheets. No change in my fastlane log in page though. Everything else is working. I have a feeling that applicants whose fastlane log in pages don't change definitely didn't get it...sigh..=(.

the nsfgrfp.org ratings sheet page hasn't been working since those lucky few saw their results. Also, the "check your application" link just directed you to the fastlane site. None of this really means anything.

It must be in and out because I just got to a log in page but last night and this morning it gave me a 404 message. Lame

the log in page is just a front-end to the the ratings sheet viewing which has been down, yeah, since those people got to see their apps. you can access the login page from google cache also but it doesn't let you access the ratings sheets.

Are people still logging into fastlane to see if they have an award letter (before emails are sent out)? It looks like this has happened for at least the last two years, so it may happen this year: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12823&start=90

Last year this trick worked on Monday afternoon, so maybe some of us will get some good news tommorrow!

But what it really means is that someone from Arkansas is more likely to get funding than someone from California with equal quality of application. This is because a smaller percentage of the state population of Arkansas end up applying to NSF as compared with a percentage from California. Federal tax money goes to pay for NSF- state senators will be pissed if all awards go to people who live on the coasts.

Didn't you wonder why you had to input where you went to high school?

So, does it go by high school location, where you currently are or where school is? If you are in grad school already does it go by permanent address or school address?

But what it really means is that someone from Arkansas is more likely to get funding than someone from California with equal quality of application.

Is Arkansas the new North Dakota? On a scale where 10 is educated yuppieville and 1 is bumble---k, I would have given it at least a 4. Why no love for Arkansas?

So, does it go by high school location, where you currently are or where school is? If you are in grad school already does it go by permanent address or school address?

It is only by high school location and not by permanent residence or school address.

I never scrolled down on fastlane's page that lets you select the year for which you want to view the awards list. I just did and it says this:

2009 Offered Award List

* The list of Awardees and Honorable Mention recipients for the year you have selected is not yet available.

No Applicants found.

Does this mean anything? I hadn't selected a year yet (2009 isn't an option).

I never scrolled down on fastlane's page that lets you select the year for which you want to view the awards list. I just did and it says this:

It has been like that for at least a month, so it does not mean anything.

also, and i know this isn't a new thing, why aren't 2008 applicants up anymore?