NSF GRFP

timuralp

Yeah, I would just love someone to say, consistently, publicly, "Not before Tuesday" or something like that. If it came out sooner, no biggy, we'd all be psyched. When the day came around they could update it to "Not before" some other day, and then I could pause the incessant refreshing of "did i get one did i get one did i get one" in my head until said date.

beak3chimps, any monte carlo advice for me?

I haven't gotten a chance to look at your message, unfortunately; sorry. Too much TA-ing in addition to class in addition to trying to figure out a dissertation and having a 10 month old...really wish I had an NSF right now, lol, to take out that TA-ing.

I feel like asking for them to update us with information on the timeline is a little too much to ask. . . seeing as how they never ACTUALLY informed us that we are in fact in limbo. They just left it for you to figure out.

Actually a lot of us (or based on people who talk on the board) emailed them weeks ago to confirm our status as "pending". Yes, not "in limbo" but "pending party" doesn't sound as good as "limbo party" so we kept our term for it.

Actually a lot of us (or based on people who talk on the board) emailed them weeks ago to confirm our status as "pending". Yes, not "in limbo" but "pending party" doesn't sound as good as "limbo party" so we kept our term for it.

Yes, I found out too, but because I called to ask. What I meant was that they were going to "send an e-mail notifying" the applicants of their status. Clearly that never happened. It probably would have saved them a lot of headaches and a lot less people would have called/e-mailed in those first couple days to figure out what was going on. Instead, you had to actively seek information. Clearly they aren't so great at keeping us informed. That was my point.

question: how many people are in limbo? is it possible that, since the original announcement of the awards, we will make 1 post here for every single person in limbo? maybe that could give us another goal to work towards after 200 pages.

question: how many people are in limbo? is it possible that, since the original announcement of the awards, we will make 1 post here for every single person in limbo? maybe that could give us another goal to work towards after 200 pages.

From what people have posted, it's somewhere between 2000 and 2100. That being said, I think your new goal is totally feasible. Let's get to it!

The one time they made a real announcement, the server went down from 11pm-2am.

Yeah, and there was also the time last week when they had a similar announcement up but then pulled it during the afternoon. I think actual maintenance is less likely to get postponed because it doesn't depend on the bureaucracy in the same way tat announcements do. I'm going to predict that this is the announcement, with the caveat that they might pull the maintenance message from the site during the day and postpone it again.

Good luck to everyone, particularly those who need it to continue with their studies. I'd certainly appreciate not having to teach for a few years, but I do have guaranteed funding, and I can manage just fine without it.

I think this is the end.

ehhhhhhhhhh we thought that three times already this week. We'll all stay up late tonight and then nothing will happen, then we will all go to bed grumpy and have yucky dreams. The forum will be silent for a few hours the next morning, then people will crabbily start talking again. In two more days we'll repeat. Don't worry.