NSF GRFP

timuralp

My friend received the NSF fellowship in 2004, and she told me that her rating sheets said "low GRE" and "low GPA" but "excellent, organized research plan" (or something like that). So I don't think GPAs and GREs are that important. I think she said her GPA was around 3.65 and GRE was around 500V and 770Q.

My friend received the NSF fellowship in 2004, and she told me that her rating sheets said "low GRE" and "low GPA" but "excellent, organized research plan" (or something like that). So I don't think GPAs and GREs are that important. I think she said her GPA was around 3.65 and GRE was around 500V and 770Q.

My advisory really emphasized playing off of NSF's core values and currently funded research projects.

Chances are it will work with NDSEG since full tuition/fees are paid. NSF is more of a crap shoot because they only receive 10,500 for tuition and they have to foot the rest of the bill. You have no bridges to burn, not doing it is silly.

I got the NDSEG. I am not sure who to e-mail though. The admissions office? I know a specific professor looked at my app (I mentioned her in my app). She had contacted a professor of mine. He said positive things (I know, I was CC'd), but obviously it wasn't enough. Should i e-mail her?

I got the NDSEG. I am not sure who to e-mail though. The admissions office? I know a specific professor looked at my app (I mentioned her in my app). She had contacted a professor of mine. He said positive things (I know, I was CC'd), but obviously it wasn't enough. Should i e-mail her?

Instead of emailing, I think you should call.

How about this year, for those that got the sneak peak?

not sure about the official categories i was marked down for. all i saw were the text for the first 2 reviews. one was glowing. other was good but not as glowing as the other. i didn't make it to the third one.

of course the caveat is that this is all relative. i feel like i am very critical of myself, so if that's any gauge......how about this: one made me feel warm and fuzzy inside and the other one just made me feel warm.

I was referring to this...

Wow, is a 3.65 a low GPA?

Some would argue that it should be close to perfect if you are going to get boat loads of money and so many applicants are fighting over it. However, I think NSF would rather fund things that are consistent with current research programs they support or core values, rather than give money to GPA's and GRE's.

Wow, is a 3.65 a low GPA?

I guess it's low for them... but then, she also went to a very competitive school (acceptance rate is like 15%). :S She's in the engineering field, so her quantitative was good, but verbal wasn't as good.

Oh, one more piece of information which I think other people have already noted in other ways. When I spoke with the NSF person about an hour ago, I asked him what was holding things up, and he said their guess was the stimulus.

I think that's BS. If you read the Recovery Act, there is no indication that (additional) money was to be set aside for GRFP. When I visited a school and the profs were discussing it, it was also their impression that graduate students wouldn't see the money.

Oh, one more piece of information which I think other people have already noted in other ways. When I spoke with the NSF person about an hour ago, I asked him what was holding things up, and he said their guess was the stimulus.

Am starting to doubt that we will see it this week.

wow, all these posts make me realize that I'd be lucky to only be in the bottom 70 percent...I'm sure it is more like bottom 10 :(

Fear not, psychology is not as competitive as some of the other fields, and most students in psych rely on other funding sources. Plus, educational psych is a growing emphasis in promoting the core values of NSF.

Fear not, psychology is not as competitive as some of the other fields, and most students in psych rely on other funding sources. Plus, educational psych is a growing emphasis in promoting the core values of NSF.

Did you apply too pilgrim? It seems most people in ed don't even realize the fellowship exists or that they are eligible! I've learned so much this app season - enough to know that I probably botched the proposal (since I've been out of school for so long I was kind of in the dark), but I will try again next year and I know my proposal will be stronger at least.

Did you apply too pilgrim? It seems most people in ed don't even realize the fellowship exists or that they are eligible! I've learned so much this app season - enough to know that I probably botched the proposal (since I've been out of school for so long I was kind of in the dark), but I will try again next year and I know my proposal will be stronger at least.

Yes, applied. Will not be eligible next year, so hoping that this year will be a good year.

This goes beyond all logic and reason. Why do I keep stressing myself out and rechecking this forum and refreshing the NSF page when all signs point to the results being posted next week at the earliest?

Well, it is not completely crazy to do...people DID get access to their reviews earlier...

I expect results soon - if not today then by the end of business on Friday. NDSEG winners need to accept or reject within a week from winning - so NSF decisions should come out prior that deadline. Whatever they've said over the phone was probably just some story to shut us up temporarily. I'd like to think those who answer questions on the phone aren't the same people who have their finger on the decision announcement button.

I expect results soon - if not today then by the end of business on Friday. NDSEG winners need to accept or reject within a week from winning - so NSF decisions should come out prior that deadline. Whatever they've said over the phone was probably just some story to shut us up temporarily. I'd like to think those who answer questions on the phone aren't the same people who have their finger on the decision announcement button.

I kind of agree w/this. NDSEG changed their notice to 'sometime this week' or whatever they did and still released the results reasonably early on 3/31.