NSF GRFP

timuralp

Has everyone given up on NSF today? We have added like half the number of pages to this thread today compared to the past few days. Well I am giving up on this thread this evening....(hopefully).........

Lets hope for some news tomorrow!

Has everyone given up on NSF today? We have added like half the number of pages to this thread today compared to the past few days. Well I am giving up on this thread this evening....(hopefully).........

Lets hope for some news tomorrow!

You're right, we are certainly slacking at slacking off.

I know I have went thru a roller coaster of hope for some news all week, and it has left me deflated. Since this is my first year applying, this process is beginning to feel surreal, like we never will be notified. Honestly, I've been legitimately waiting since the ides of march, 24 days and counting, and I'm starting to think I died and this forum is Jean Paul Sartre's "No Exit". The people aren't hell, but my existence is somehow dependent on the NSF...or perhaps Descartes had it wrong; it should be "I doubt they'll post today, therefore I wait, therefore I am."

I say the earliest we hear anything is Friday ...... painful as it sounds. :cry:

I agree, they seem to be desperately needing all the extra time they can get without it being too ridiculously late - which I guess would be beyond the 15th. Also, I spoke with someone on the phone earlier and they said they might give the awards out first to people who they know will definitely get it in any case, and letting people who are definitely not going to get it know as well. The rest will remain in limbo.

Here's the thing,

1. NDSEG sent an email to awardees letting them know they have an extension to Friday to respond

2. NSF and NDSEG share an office (right?), which means they're probably talking to each other.

3. It's hard to imagine NDSEG offering an extension unless either:

a. They know that awards will be released no later than Friday (and probably Thursday, if they wanted to give students some time to digest and respond)

b. They said to the NSF "either you get your stuff done by Friday or we just move along with our process regardless"

Seems to me that b. is pretty unlikely, but you never know.. I'm hoping that they release results tomorrow.

Well if it isn't released today it will at least be historically late.

Indeed! Even if I don't win, I will say that we made history. I can already see myself recalling this to my grandchildren..."Back in Twenty-Aught-Nine we had to walk 20 miles to school, up hill both ways, just to check my email 10 times a day..."

I agree, they seem to be desperately needing all the extra time they can get without it being too ridiculously late - which I guess would be beyond the 15th. Also, I spoke with someone on the phone earlier and they said they might give the awards out first to people who they know will definitely get it in any case, and letting people who are definitely not going to get it know as well. The rest will remain in limbo.

I think that although that would put most of us out of our misery, it would certainly create a distinction between the "first round" fellows and the "second round". And yes, everyone knows that NSF is only going to give the awards to extremely qualified people, but I'm sure that would linger in my thoughts...

I've heard from a few different sources that everyone that is "good enough" for the GRFP are placed into a pool; they then start assigning awards to the top people until they run out.

Everyone else in that pool gets an HM.

I don't know if it is 100% true, but if it is, everyone in that HM pool deserves the award. NSF just didn't have the funds for everyone.

I'd be up for a staggered release, even though I doubt they will, just because it would be nice to get some real information other than "mid April."

i like to imagine this thread as a great big room, and we just all sort of shamble in, standing in the back while frowning at a big screen showing the nsf site and our inboxes. now and then someone spreads some known information (scant) or misinformation (more likely), and perhaps superchuchubu (sp) calls and makes us more miserable. perhaps someone with a hook and cutlass starts poking around.