F-1 Visa Interview Help Needed

HI,

I have been offered admission at SUNY stonybrook ece department. Since they had a very short deadline for submitting financial documents I had to get affidavit of financial support from a relative who is residing in the US. But I applied for visa I hope to get an education loan to fund me instead of my relative.So SUNY's I-20 is going to show financial support from a relative residing in the US. Now in the VISA interview, will this issue of relative (living in the USA) funding me for my education become a problem? Has anyone done it here in this forum before? Please HELP ME!!

Thanks

I did my Masters' in usa and I had educational loan and I am sure that I-20 does not show ur funding info. it would only state expected expenses. atleast my i-20 does not show tat am being supported by bank.

hope it helps.

From what I understand you need to show proof of your finances at your interview (and again, at the airport). So they would be able to see where your money is coming from (at least, where you say your money is coming from - i.e. the relative).

I don't know how this will impact your interview, sorry!

Hi Karthich,

I am also heading to the US this fall and received my I-20 some weeks back. It does have mention of both - break up of college expenses and student's means of support. My suggestion to you is: Why not show both the sources of income in your visa interview. It will only make your case stronger. Also, be truthful in your interview and tell them you applied for the bank loan later.

All the best!

My suggestion to you is: Why not show both the sources of income in your visa interview. It will only make your case stronger.

I'd be careful with that. Here's why: I get funding from my US university, but I also applied to some Dutch funding organisations. What I get from the US university in the first year is enough to receive a visum - and because the Dutch organisations were late with deciding whether they would give me money, I asked my international student office in the US whether I could apply for the visum with just the US money as income. They said that I could, but that if I were fortunate enough to receive more money (which I am, thank you Dutch organisation!!!) I should not mention it in my interview nor at the airport. The consulate might insist that I would need an updated I-20 and that could delay everything significantly (instead, we'll just update my I-20 when I get to the US). The international student office emphasised that the information you present in the interview should be identical to what is on your I-20.

I know that this is a different situation though... So here's my advice: email your international student office, they are familiar with such issues and will be able to give you solid advice!