Difference in Quantitative Programs

Scalia

I'm interesting in pursuing quantitative psychology and I know these type of programs are housed in both regular psychology programs and in educational psychology programs. What are the differences in employment opportunities from these different programs. Are quantitative psychologists in demand regardless of the department they come from?

I'm interesting in pursuing quantitative psychology and I know these type of programs are housed in both regular psychology programs and in educational psychology programs. What are the differences in employment opportunities from these different programs. Are quantitative psychologists in demand regardless of the department they come from?

The question would be what do you want to do with the degree? If it is industry-- there is usually some flexibility. I work in education research and we hire quantitative methodologists from education, psychology, sociology, public health, etc. Typically a lot of the social science research positions that I see request one of these types of degrees.

If you hope to be a professor, you would probably need to be more strategic about what type of classes you want to teach and what type of research you want to work on. I assume if you want to work in straight psychology departments you would need to be able to teach some intro psyc classes as well as stats and methods classes. For educational psychology, I assume you need to be able to teach foundations of education, cognition, or human development classes along with statistics and methods courses.

Your profile says American Politics is your field? Then perhaps an Ed Policy program would be better suited (these can be very quantitative as well...the one at my school is).