Why do universities refrain from counting GPAs in grad school?

What's up every1??

I just went to orientation @ my school where I will be doing my masters.

They explained that while they do record grades, GPA is not counted. While they can calculate it for you, they do not use GPA.

Now, is this because it is unimportant when transitioning to PhD candidacy?

What reasons do they have for this? I asked and they said "it's just one of those things"

Does any one also have this at their university?

For those that truly know what they're talking about, what would be the possible PROS and CONS to this?

Thanks guys, and I hope this was the right forum for my topic!

TESOL

it's odd not to count GPA at all. we do it in my program and use it (and fellowships/awards) to rank the grad students in the department.

that said, the GPA is pretty meaningless in grad school. with such ridiculous grade inflation, what's the point? in my own program, As are "excellent," A-s are "adequate" (which are totally fine if you're an MA student and not-so-fine if you're a PhD student), B+s are indicators that you didn't really get it, and Bs are warnings that you need to do better to avoid academic probation. anything below a B is the real equivalent of an F.

what's the point of having a 3.5 GPA (which used to be pretty decent) if in grad school that means you're on the edge of failing out? MAs should have 3.8-4.0 and PhDs should have 4.0. it becomes almost useless to keep track of GPAs if everyone in your cohort has a 3.9 or 4.0. that might be why your own program doesn't bother to keep track of them.