diversity statements

purplepepper

Hi again, sorry for taking up so much space on the board.

This time i have a question about "optional" diversity statements, the question being, how "optional" is optional? for instance Yale's is "optional" but is this code for hint hint, you need to write one? or if it's only luke-warm, will it hurt one's chance of admissions?

When did diversity statements become a part of the application anyway? there doesn't seem to be much info about them anywhere!

is there anyone else who is looking forward to getting everything submitted? I sure am!

I hear ya - can't wait till applications are over. Yale's is my only application needing a diversity statement.

I was planning to take it on face value that it really is optional. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Sorry, nothing constructive to add.

• 2 weeks later...

Optional doesn't mean expected. Recommended means expected. If you don't have anything to offer in the way of diversity, do not answer this prompt as it will just highlight that fact. However, if you do have something to offer to the cohort, by all means, trumpet it. Did you have unique work experience after college? Have you lived in different places or been at different universities? If so, you may contribute geographical diversity/academic diversity. You could provide professional diversity. You could provide diversity in your own unique career goals, surely not every program wants to spit out six post docs a year. Don't obsess about this one, but if you can make a selling point in your app, do it.