Got a rejection in February... then an offer of financial aid in the mail today. What does that mean?

minorchord

I applied to a PhD program via the Graduate Center at CUNY several months ago and didn't get in - I heard back in late February that they weren't offering me admission. But then today they sent me a letter saying that I had been awarded financial aid - a work study, some loans and that sort of thing. The financial aid letter has been recently revised and is dated April 28, which is 2 months AFTER the rejection letter. What does this mean? I have a feeling that it's just a mistake on the part of the financial aid office, but I'm so confused. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

I applied to a PhD program via the Graduate Center at CUNY several months ago and didn't get in - I heard back in late February that they weren't offering me admission. But then today they sent me a letter saying that I had been awarded financial aid - a work study, some loans and that sort of thing. The financial aid letter has been recently revised and is dated April 28, which is 2 months AFTER the rejection letter. What does this mean? I have a feeling that it's just a mistake on the part of the financial aid office, but I'm so confused. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Wow you should call them immediately. What do you mean by revised? It seems like it could be a mistake on the part of the financial aid office considering the odd date on the later. Does the letter have your name on it? But the bottom line is that you should call them, that letter could have been meant for someone else.

Wow you should call them immediately. What do you mean by revised? It seems like it could be a mistake on the part of the financial aid office considering the odd date on the later. Does the letter have your name on it? But the bottom line is that you should call them, that letter could have been meant for someone else.

Yeah, I'm going to call first thing in the morning but now I'm on pins and needles. The letter definitely has my name on it - and my social security number, so it's definitely for me. As for revised, I mean that I guess my Mother revised my FAFSA information or something so this is the updated form of the financial aid they awarded me.

I think you're probably right that it's a mistake. I'm just so annoyed because I can't help getting my hopes up, and I know it'll be for nothing. Argh!

Okay, called the admissions department and got an answer. CUNY admissions says that every applicant gets offered financial aid, whether or not they get admitted, and if you don't get in then you just have to refuse it. This makes absolutely no sense to me... but that's what admissions lady told me.

Okay, called the admissions department and got an answer. CUNY admissions says that every applicant gets offered financial aid, whether or not they get admitted, and if you don't get in then you just have to refuse it. This makes absolutely no sense to me... but that's what admissions lady told me.

I definitely know what you mean about getting you're hopes up, you just can't help it. I think I would have had the same feeling....actually I know I would have felt the same and would have also been on pins and needles until I found out and then angry and dejected after finding out it was something ridiculous like that. Even if they process the aid long before you get a decision they should be able to not send letters to those not admitted months prior, that just creates bad feelings. You should accept it and send it back to the financial aid office... ;-P

That's insanely stupid.