established vs new, big vs smal

stanzi

Got offered admissions to two programs with full funding. School A has a well known, established (maybe the best) program in the field and has a large number of graduate students and faculty. I took my MA and BA at this University (in different programs). So far, they haven't been very helpful or timely with providing info. For example I only just received information on funding yesterday, and still the letter is very (maybe almost intentionally) unclear.

The other is a new program (phd started in 2009!), they are extremely helpful and eager to communicate. Had an hour long conversation with the program director who basically told me that they want their phds to become faculty asap. They only have 6 phd students and 10 MAs. Assured me that the program is stable and well backed by the University.

Here are my concerns.

School A: getting 3 degrees from the same University...

competitive (for grants, scholarships and faculty time)

School B: program isn't as respected (or known) as school A....

pressure to help build their program

two years shorter than School A (heavy course load in the first year)

And I have to make a decision by next Monday.

Any advice?!!!!!!!???

Edited by stanzi

If you want an academic job, isn't School A a better choice in basically every way? Unless School B will be offering faculty jobs to all their own PhD graduates, it doesn't matter whether they want their graduates to become faculty or not. Other schools will be doing the hiring, so it is their opinions and preferences that matter. Since that is the only real positive you've given for School B, this seems pretty clear cut.

I'm assuming that that the research fit and funding situations at these two schools are similar (bc my first inclination is follow the money).

Given that, then School A sounds better. Yes, it may take you 2 extra years to finish, but chances are higher that you'll get an academic position from this well-established program.