phd app - review it, please? i need perspective

baxter

honestly sounds like you're in good shape, just make sure the schools you applied to are a good fit for your research interests, that you make that fit abundantly clear in your personal statement, and hope for the best. in some ways its a crapshoot, but you are very qualified and should be feeling confident in yourself and your accomplishments.

Hey, given your specs and background, I also think that you are in a good shape in getting into some of the programs you are applying for. I would just make sure that you don't take anything for granted and develop really strong personal statement and writing sample. Otherwise, even candidates with the highest qualifications could face rejection. Good luck!

nofia & blukorea, i really appreciate your input - it does help me relax a little bit. are either of you two in history phd programs? the application process really hacks into any passion one has for a field of study. too bad. :roll:

if anybody else wants to add insight, please, please do.

if you thought the application process was bad, just wait til you start your first year ;-)

But yes, I am currently in a program, and it looks to me like you'll be a competetive candidate, as long as you prove to the ad com that you are a good fit for the department. best of luck!

nofia... thanks again. i would be curious about your area of study, if you don't care to divulge. also, how much tougher would you guess the coursework for a ph.d. will be compared to (what you know of) the master's i am doing now?

its always good to seek the wise counsel of many people. :)

haha, I'm mostly being facetious...the first year of the program at my school is sort of like a 'boot camp' in a way; all of the people in my field take one big colloquium together and they really pile on the work to make sure you're cut out for the program (those of us entering without the MA complete that degree the first year as well, but those with MAs still have to do all the other coursework we have to do, they just don't have to write a thesis). I'm not sure how it compares to other schools or programs since they're all different, so I can't really say. if you're already doing grad-level work I'm sure you'll be fine. oh, and I study 20th century US political and diplomatic history.

As a MA student, I actually share classes with PhD students- 1st and 2nd years. Our abilities really depended on our previous knowledge and experience in graduate school. So the workload isn't that much different, I think, and the professors know I want to apply to PhD programs. My professors have been quite accomodating to each student's needs...

IAs a MA applicant, you will be looked upon favorably because you have done some grad work and languages. Research grants are always nice and some publications too. As you've seen in previous threads on this discussion board, people were rejected because they didn't have a MA, or it's actualy crapshoot.

I would just breathe, focus on the fit of the departments, and just hope (well it worked for Obama...) for the best. Know how competitive Latin American history is- usually only one or two spots per program. So just enter in the admissions process with a very open mind and come up with a back-up plan that you like to do for a year. Good luck! :)